PDA

View Full Version : Just Got My First Rear Fanged Species

PunkMonkey11
12-30-02, 09:51 PM
Hey there just thought I'd introduce myself to this forum because I can now be a part of it. I have finally gotten my first rear fanged species. Its a false water cobra. It a baby female captive bred by Dr. Phil in montreal. Its in awesome shape. It is eating on fish scented pinkies right now but soon it shuold be able to eat unscented. I haven't tried feeding it yet because I want to let it get settled and everything. anyways just wondering who else out there has one of these guys and what they think. Of course I know that this species is very dangerous and would never think of free handling it, I have had experience with other rear fanged species as well so is not like its a first thing for me. Just wondering what type of enclosures you keep yours in and what size and everything. right now mines just in a rubbermaid but I can move her into either a tank or a neodeshia anytime. Just want some input.
Thanx

Jeremy

Matt
01-01-03, 10:23 AM
hey jeremy,
congradulations on your new FWC
if its still small, you can house her in a rubbermaid for quite a while longer.
when you move her into her adult enclosure, remember how big FWCs get. I would make sure whatever you keep her in is at least 4x2x2. That is usually enought size for them.
In my opinion, i would keep it in a melamine enclosure, or something similar.....i really dislike neodeshias and aquariums of that size are too expensive.

good idea about not free handling, people take rear fanged way too lightly....i understand they arent elapids, but i think sometimes people dont understand that they are still venomous and although the chance of a serious bite is much less, it is still possible

sorry, i dont wanna babble on but just a little bit of info......
FWC venom has been clinically tested and said to be very similar to the venom of <i>Crotalus atrox</i>. Although the amount injected (if it is even injected) is far less, thats still enough to make me say no thanks to freehandling.

congrats again!

Linds
01-08-03, 01:55 PM
Congrats on your new addition! I saw a pic of her on "that other site" and she's a real beauty! :)

paolo_28
01-08-03, 02:27 PM
Congrats PM11, where can I go to check out some pictures of him?

PunkMonkey11
01-09-03, 05:34 PM
well if I could figure out how to post pics I would. but if you want I could email them to you?

Jeremy

paolo_28
01-09-03, 05:50 PM
Yes PunkMonkey11, Can you email me some pictures.

Please and Thanks.

Paolo

PunkMonkey11
01-09-03, 05:51 PM
sure I will right now

PunkMonkey11
01-09-03, 05:52 PM
but I'll need your email address first lol

chappy
01-09-03, 06:37 PM
http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/392falsie1.jpg

PunkMonkey11
01-09-03, 06:38 PM
thanx chappy hehe

katev17
01-09-03, 07:05 PM
That's awesome! Very Nice :D

PunkMonkey11
02-04-03, 02:30 PM
an updated pic, she's really starting to show colours now.

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/392cobra3.jpg