PDA

View Full Version : What do u keep rats in??

snakeman92
12-30-02, 01:08 AM
i was wondering what u guys keeps rat in i need something cheap and something they cant get out of because if they do my mom will kill me and i dont really want this happening.and if u have pics can i see thos
thanks

AymKing
01-01-03, 02:26 PM
Hi, I've been a rodent breeder for 10 years!! Here's what I do:
I go to Wal-mart and buy those rubbermaid containers have my husband drill out holes towards the top of them, get one with a good fitting lid and presto there ya go! For water I just drill a hole so they can reach it and hook the water bottle up on the outside of the container using pieces of metal wire. Just remember this does not work so well with hamsters or gerbils, they do chew out. Buy the clear plastic ones I've discovered rats and mice chew threw the solid color containers but not the clear ones. Just keep them well fed and watered and they stay in there. I've used this method for over 4 years, remember not to overcrowd. Use smaller holes for mice something they can't put their mouth through, this works guys!!!

Lisa
01-02-03, 02:33 AM
We just get used ones from the pet stop. we're not keeping the rats as pets (or so i've been told) so we don't care what colour the cages are.

krrc
01-02-03, 09:45 AM
what do you guys feed your rodents and are they really messy?

reverendsterlin
01-02-03, 12:20 PM
keep mine in the freezer lol

Tim_Cranwill
01-02-03, 01:04 PM
lol:)

krrc
01-02-03, 01:44 PM
ya i just prekill mine but I was just wondering if I was to get alot of snakes how you do it.:D

Lisa
01-02-03, 03:23 PM
i wack the pinkie against the wall a few times then toss them in the freezer.

krrc
01-02-03, 05:01 PM
I fead my snake today and the rat was still kinda alive so I just hit it a couple more times and wala ... it was dead ........ moral of the story sometimes snakes like fresh killed prey owell.... :zi::zi:

TOM E
01-02-03, 06:49 PM
I use rubbermaids with a home made mesh top
the mesh top has a mesh box built down toward the rats to keep the food in.

works great I could e-mail you a pic if you like..

snakeman92
01-02-03, 09:56 PM
ok Tom a pic would be great plz send as soon as possible
thanks for all your help guys
my e mail is mrpeepers_02@hotmail.com
thanks

TOM E
01-03-03, 11:00 AM
I tried that e-mail and it did not work?

is ther an underscore between the (s and 02)?

BoidKeeper
01-03-03, 12:09 PM
I use the deep roughneck Rubbermaid primarily. It's the 68.1L size. I have a few rabbit auto feeders that are great. I feed mine sure grain small animal diet. It is made of corn, oats, sunflower seeds, peanuts, rabbit pellets and other mixed grains. I also add a bag of no name dog food. It is all vegetable protein mostly.
Cheers,
Trevor

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/504/289rat_room__1.jpg

Linds
01-03-03, 12:14 PM
I have been using the same housing as AymKing, except I didn't drill holes I cut out the top and put in wire mesh. It works ok, but not good long-term housing IMO. I have had rats chew their way out several times now, and a bunch of loose rodents is not a good thing! I wouldn't even think of putting my mice in that setup. Luckily I never had mixed company escaped or I'd have them freebreeding in my basement! :eek: I'm currently working on building a rack to house these little buggers with no worries of them chewing through......

KaHane
01-03-03, 12:19 PM
We keep them in a rack system, which is XL cat litter box and on sliding racks.

Gorelith
01-03-03, 01:40 PM
BoidKeeper... I have one of those 3 door rubbermaid drawers and I must say the way you set up the water bottles is completely genius....time for me to get out the drill and free up some aquariums :)

BoidKeeper
01-03-03, 02:42 PM
Thanks, I thought so. ha ha Here is a better pic, sort of. It was real easy to make. Put one screw into the frame and wrape a rubberband around it and the bottle. Drill a hole for the bottle to get into the cage and your laughing.
Good luck,
Trevorhttp://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/504/289mice_rack.jpg

marisa
01-03-03, 02:51 PM
Know its weird because I started breeding my mice almost two years ago I think...anyways when I started I was told my set up would be foolish.

I have 6 inch high rubbermaid shoeboxes. I cut out a square and attached hardware cloth. Everyone on the "other" forum told me I would be lucky to keep the mice in there for a couple weeks before escaping. But two years later I am using the exact same cages.

I guess I have mice that hate chewing? *lol*

marisa

ross2k
01-03-03, 04:18 PM
http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/8378ratfarm1.jpg

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/8378ratfarm2.jpg

They key is LOW maintenance, and of course low initial cost. Total initial cost for two 50g and two 20g enclosures with food rats and substrate? ~150$ Thats for 1.5

Tools needed : wire nippers, pliers, and either thick skin or gloves

email me if you want any more details

snakeman92
01-04-03, 10:33 PM
Hey Tom E there is a underscore between the s and the 0 sorry for the mix up