PDA

View Full Version : Seahorses??

Rebecca
12-26-02, 02:28 PM
I have always wanted to have seahorses. My question is what would a cheap setup cost?? Also how hard are they to care for. I've kept fish for ever, but never brackish or saltwater. I currently don't have any fish but still want some seahorses. Thanks for any advise you guys give me.

Youkai
12-26-02, 02:59 PM
First, you need to know that a proper set up for seahorses will not be cheap in the slightest. To keep them properly, you need good equiptment. Our main tank that has seahorses in it probably has a couple grand invested into it. Granted, some stuff is there for the other animals (like corals.)
Seahorse are very, very difficult to keep. But not impossible.
However, I would suggest you have some marine experience before attempting it. Seahorses are not very forgiving of their owners' mistakes.
Also, do lots, and <i>lots</i> of reading in books and online.

Rebecca
12-26-02, 06:21 PM
I know it's not cheap, I just ment cheap by seahorse/saltwater tank standards. Just to give me a base idea. I agree with the experience part. I plan on getting some seahorse safe coral for my tank after it's cycled and that, and if I can keep that alive then get some seahorse safe fish and THEN if I keep them alive then get the horses. I know that they are very unforgiving when it comes to mistakes. I don't plan on getting any untill I know everything about keeping them that anyone person can know! I'm a very quick study when it comes to animals that interest me. So any advise for me???

Shane Tesser
12-26-02, 07:43 PM
Great to see you have an interest in seahorses :D First off i would do one thing a little different...id probably start off with some marine fish...then try to graduate to corals. Most corals are a heck of alot harder to keep then the fish are..not to mention way more expensive. From there graduate to the corel, then after time and alot of experience try seahorses. Youkai is our resident expert in the seahorse department, and once you have reached that level, she would be the most knowledgable to answer your questions. Of the salt water fish, they are by far some of the most delicate...they take almost zero bullying, and as for suitable fish species to co-habitate with them, well there again you are limited. They are slow moving, shy, and for the most part very weak swimmers, who cannot handle competition with tank mates for food. They like almost no turbulance in the water...which makes filtration, not to mention the use of any protein skimmers very interesting. As like the majority of marines, they are often territorial and should be in a large a tank as possible. A good filter set up is key...with decorations etc, i would imagine..depending on the number you want to keep...expect to spend $1500-2000 for a proper set up. Yes you can do it cheaper...but proper is the key. I too have always wanted to keep them. But the set up for them, not to mention the attention has always put me off. One day i will, but as for now i still feel that i am not ready for them....one day soon i hope :D

Rebecca
12-26-02, 11:37 PM
Well I know that pipe fish are pretty much the only fish you can keep with tthe horses. I didn't know that coral is harder to keep. I do now though!! Learn something everyday, belong to this site and you learn tons of new stuff everyday!!

sSNAKESs.com
12-27-02, 05:07 AM
Thats what we like to hear :D

Rebecca
12-27-02, 11:57 AM
What size tank would be good for some coral, 4? pipefish and 4? seahorses?? I can get a 33 or a 55g tank that should be ok right??

Gorelith
12-27-02, 02:14 PM
Kinda off topic but I know that Fluval makes great saltwater filters (not sure if this info helps any). Best of luck maintaining a saltwater aquarium. We used to keep dwarf snowflake morays, beautiful eels. They look a lot like sea snakes.

Shane Tesser
12-28-02, 10:07 AM
Rebecca, i guess the old rule of thumb would apply here for a marine, as it does with a freshwater tank. Think of it in terms of problems. The larger the tank, the larger the volume of water. With more water when something goes wrong it takes alot longer for the problem to spread and become disasterous. The bigger the tank is always better....but yeah price is always a factor. Marines suffer from one problem that no other aquarium fish suffer from. That is...when one fish gets sick in a freshwater tank....it usually ends there....if it dies...it dies. The opposite occurs in a marine...often one sick fish will die...and the rest will follow. The smaller the tank...the more likely the chances of a problem that you will not be able to cure as it will spread too fast. I hope this makes sense, in short for a marine....regardless of how few fish you plan to keep, i would not personally keep anything in less than a 90 gallon. And even with that i think its still on the small side. If you want to try a 55, then just be sure you dont push the load with anymore fish then you already plan to keep, and go sparingly with the corels, and make sure you get a good protein skimmer. :D

Rebecca
12-28-02, 11:06 AM
It does make sense! Well at least to me. I don't plan on too much coral it'll be there for tail holds and for looks mainly. Also for hiding spots too, but that goes without saying. I'd love a 90g but right now that's not going to happen. One other thing I have heard debated, do I REALLY need a protein skimmer?? I've heard yes and I've heard no, so what do all you think??

Shane Tesser
12-28-02, 07:31 PM
Its your choice...basically it allows you to keep higher loads of animals, it does not however eleminate the stress that comes with loads of animals. I would suggest it with your plans of the amout of animals you want to keep...i think 55 personally like i said is pushing it, and marines dont tolerate nitrate levels like some of the freshwater species do.

Youkai
12-28-02, 08:22 PM
Keep in mind that very, VERY few corals can be kept with seahorses, as the seahorses will damage them. If coral will be there at all, you're adding probably an extra $300+ to expenses - keep that in mind. (for lighting, etc)
Also, as far as fish tank mates go, the only ones I find that work are (thus far) fire fish, mandarin, green, and scooter dragonettes, and small wrasses (lemon, 6 line, etc.)
Dragonettes should ONLY be kept in a very well aged reef tank (1+ years at least) with a very large source of live food.

Most other fish will out compete seahorses for food, pick on them, and stress them out. Choose tank mates very carefully.

Smaller tanks are possible, but require much more effort and experience then larger ones. For starting, it might not be worth the effort.