PDA

View Full Version : Introducing a new male...

Linds
04-17-02, 02:15 PM
Ok, so as you probably know, the male rat from one of my colonies is dead. I am getting a new rat in a few hours and was wondering how I would go about reintroducing him into the colony. Right now it is just two females, one has a litter of 3, the other will be dropping babies anytime... probably today. I like to house my males with my females and babies 24/7... I do not separate them ever. Will it be ok to just put the new male in with the females and babies or will something happen? How would you suggest I go about this?

Jezabel
04-17-02, 02:37 PM
I've read that if the baby are not from the male that female is with, he might kill them.

But I often switch my male/female/baby mice from one colonie to another without any problem (but I only has 3 colonie).

If you try it, watch carefully their reaction and if you seen any agression, separate them. It must also depend from each animal but, my female rat was especially grumpy right after dropping babies. She didn't want to be disturb.

Good luck

Dom
04-17-02, 03:37 PM
Heres my observations..

Any rat introduced while a mother has babies, she will attack or defend them .. in other words they will fight .. (no matter if its a male or female) ..

In other words, I woulp personally not introduce him to the females that are weaning .. either wait until they are all done or put him with the group but remove the female that is weaning ..

He will be ok with the female that is pregnat .. then try to find a time when no ones weaning to put them all together again .. I have realized too that this applies only to mothers weaning for babies under 3 weeks .. so if there older - introduce him right away

Or even - introduce him see what happens .. if there gonna fight - it will happen in the first minute .. if your lucky they might get along .. I have had the occasionall good luck..

Hope it helps

Let us know how it went

Linds
04-17-02, 08:07 PM
Thanks guys! Acutally, the female made up my mind just now and had a litter of 13 (-1 stillborn) so now they both have litters. And the male that I got isnt quite matured yet so I will just wait until all the babies are weaned before I throw him in with the females.

Dom
04-18-02, 07:33 AM
thats seems like the best descision to me!