PDA

View Full Version : my ball ate a wood chip

Jesse C
09-27-08, 10:56 AM
hi everyone
this is my first snake i got her 2 weeks ago, shes about 16"
anyways i've been keeping her the way the pet store told me too, and the same way they've been keeping all they're snakes(on aspen chips) anyways i fed her today, and in the process of eating the fuzzy, she ate a good sized wood chip and i wasn't fast enough to get it out, and she definately ate it
now what do i do?
im very concerned
thanks for any help

Chanel
09-29-08, 03:29 PM
I think it will probably be fine if it was only one, but if you notice any signs of constipation or impaction go to the vet ASAP.

Aaron_S
09-30-08, 08:24 AM
Most reptiles can pass wood chips and the like through their system. Nobody serves up a rodent on a dinner plate in the wild so it's bound to happen. Just keep an eye on the ball for any sort of constipation. If it was a large piece, I'd doubly keep an eye on the snake until it passes the meal.

C#@$e
09-30-08, 01:13 PM
you should feed he/she in a differnt place outher than his tank

Durtis
09-30-08, 03:27 PM
you dont have to take the snake out but it is smarter so they dont think thats where they get fed and bite at you when you put your hands in there tanks
as for the chip in the snakes mouth it should be ok the stomach acids should take care of it

Aaron_S
09-30-08, 05:39 PM
It's not always better. Trying to get a snake that is still in "feed mode" out of another enclosure and into it's regular one can lead to some bites. It also might stress the snake out to be in another enclosure. As well as the snake may think every time it's taken out of the cage it's going to be fed, moving into feed mode again. That is why people tend to hook train their snakes. So that when the hook touches them it means there is no food coming.

C#@$e
09-30-08, 06:21 PM
well if its not good to take them out of there encloser and its not good to keep them in their encloser, what should you do?

Aaron_S
09-30-08, 07:09 PM
I have always fed inside the enclosure. I didn't have problems. Like I said though with hook training, it would be fine.

C#@$e
09-30-08, 07:33 PM
ohh okay, does that mean use a hook to get him in and out of the encloser?

mykee
09-30-08, 08:31 PM
Yeah, that's what hook training means. Sometimes I think the owner needs more hook training (getting used to using a hook on the correct part of a snake) than the snake needs to get used to having a hook used on it.
As for removing the snake from it's enclosure, it's completely unnecessary UNLESS you keep your snake on loose substrate.
Use this thread as a lesson.

totheend
09-30-08, 08:34 PM
Yes, hook training means that you use a hook to get the snake out of the enclosure and then you can handle them.
I think that it is best to feed in the enclosure and hook train. But everyone has their own ideas. But I will tell you right now I would never try to take a snake out of an enclosure just after you feed them!!:eek:

totheend
09-30-08, 08:34 PM
Mykee, you are quick!

Aaron_S
10-01-08, 08:49 AM
Mykee is like a ninja.

Mykee, would you enlighten the rest of us on which part of the body is best to hook the snake?

C#@$e
10-01-08, 09:17 AM
yes witch part of the body should you hook a snake?

Durtis
10-01-08, 06:42 PM
you should pick him up in the middle of his/her body

mykee
10-01-08, 08:25 PM
You hook a ball python in the upper 2/5 of a ball python. Never in the middle, his heart and lung are there, you want to avoid compressing any major organs. You don't want to hook too low, as the stomach, especially after eating to get him back into his enclosure.
Try to get him just below the neck as he'll try to slither away and any lower he'll fall of the hook.
Good luck.

Jesse C
10-01-08, 08:32 PM
Thanks for all the tips. One more question, how do i know if she's constipated?
How often do they go? she went the day that i got her and its been a week and a half now, and nothing

C#@$e
10-02-08, 07:41 PM
if your ball is constipated he well feel more soft like almost squishy above the cloaca.
and guys tell me if im wroung

mykee
10-02-08, 09:06 PM
OK, you're wrong. You can't "feel" squishy, if anything you'll feel harder. Constipation means the waste is lacking water which makes motility more difficult, "squishy" would be the opposite.
As for your snake being constipated, did he eat too much cheese?
Snakes poop whenever they want, I pooped three times today, yesterday; once. They poop when THEY want to, not when YOU want them to. Don't stress the small things, they'll be enough big things, don't worry...

Aaron_S
10-02-08, 10:29 PM
Mykee, did I ever tell you how I enjoy your replies?

mykee
10-03-08, 07:02 AM
Aaron, you're the only reason I still post here...

Aaron_S
10-03-08, 09:45 AM
To keep me sane? Yah thanks for that :D

C#@$e
10-03-08, 11:33 AM
ohh i could have swore i heard that some wear ohh well.

springtech
11-15-08, 03:29 AM
I hear alot of things, all the time, that always contradict every other thing I heard in the first place. I find with forums you have to read a billion threads and sift through them carfully to find the general accepted method etc.

PDXErik
11-15-08, 03:09 PM
Yeah, that's what hook training means. Sometimes I think the owner needs more hook training (getting used to using a hook on the correct part of a snake) than the snake needs to get used to having a hook used on it.
As for removing the snake from it's enclosure, it's completely unnecessary UNLESS you keep your snake on loose substrate.
Use this thread as a lesson.

I feed in their normal enclosures with no problems at all.

My new little 0.1 albino BCI jerkwad super-b(four more letters...) is hook training me.

LadyParvati
11-16-08, 10:06 AM
Come on, guys--why would a snake poop every day? We poop every day because we eat every day! Snakes will poop within a couple of days or three after eating, but generally not again--unless, as Mykee so beautifully :crazy:
(just teasing!) explains, it happens to feel like pooping again.

Snort! LOL Sandy