PDA

View Full Version : Sssamy is here

piketpik
11-12-07, 10:36 PM
Hi there,

I got Sssamy this evening. It is meant to be a she??? ( looked at the 'reminiscent of legs', sorry , i forgot the name)
I got her at 7 pm.
From the 3 snakes we looked at, she is the only one that did not stress (being a ball).
I manipulated her after diner.
At all time, she's been curious, exploring her new enclosure (40 L).
Last time she got food was 5 days ago (a fuzzy).
As she does not look stressed and very much lively, I wonder if I should wait before feeding her.

Needless to say I am a happy man tonight :freakedout:

PDXErik
11-12-07, 11:39 PM
If it were me, I'd try right now. I'm sure everyone will say, "give her (?) a week" but I'd try now. If it eats, it can mean good things, adaptable, hard to stress.

Welcome!

cedwards
11-13-07, 08:38 AM
I would do the same offer her a meal. Good luck
Cheers
Chuck

totheend
11-13-07, 09:41 AM
I agree, try to feed her.

piketpik
11-13-07, 10:26 PM
So, I tried to feed her tonight with a fuzzy (frozen).
She had absolutely no interest in it what so ever. All her attention was focused on trying to run (crawl) free.

1. that fuzzy had no hair... looked like a pinky to me....(5 gr)
2. my first impression about frozen food is kind of negative. The wrap says we need to leave it at room temperature, is it not too cold to be attrative to a snake?

3. would you have any advices as how to prepare frozen food?

Cheers

cedwards
11-14-07, 06:48 AM
What I do with F/T rats is let the hot water run over it out of the bag. It will take a few min depending on the size of food then sqeez it on papper towl to get most of the water off ,it should be nice and worm. If she dose not take it then she needs more time. Good Luck
Cheers
Chuck

mykee
11-14-07, 11:49 AM
So could you tell me again how you determined that this ball is a female? By looking at it's spurs?

piketpik
11-14-07, 05:33 PM
So could you tell me again how you determined that this ball is a female? By looking at it's spurs?

Yes, that's what the girl at the shop told me. 2 had short ones, 1 had longer ones. Females are deemed to be the shortest.

mykee
11-14-07, 10:12 PM
Wrong.
The only way to properly sex a ball python, and I'm sure we've all heard this one a THOUSAND times before is popping or probing. Your pet store employees method is about as accurate as asking the snake itself.

piketpik
11-14-07, 10:24 PM
Wrong.
The only way to properly sex a ball python, and I'm sure we've all heard this one a THOUSAND times before is popping or probing. Your pet store employees method is about as accurate as asking the snake itself.
:sorry: ok, but she still has 50% chances to be right :yes:

Thanks for the info anyway

piketpik
11-18-07, 06:55 PM
Sssamy accepted her first fuzzy today :wacky: YES I am a happy man.

I went thru the book 'reptiles and amphibians for dummies' by Patricia Bartlett, she says on page 240 that boas and pythons have visible cloacal spurs that are noticeably larger on males than on females.

Got the same info here: Ball Pythons (http://www.anapsid.org/ball.html) ( I hope it is OK to show URL) and here Ball Python - Royal Python Information Sheet (http://www.a1pythons.com/ball.html)

But here, it says the opposite Untitled Document (http://www2.mcdaniel.edu/Biology/labanimalsweb/aballpython/ballpython.html)

and as a conclusion
ADW: Python regius: Information (http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Python_regius.html)

I do not want to start a war here, it is just that I am getting contradicting info...:confused:.... not easy to make my mind as a rookie :sorry:

PDXErik
11-19-07, 12:26 PM
Sure, they're more visible, how visible are a females?

I don't know, either!

When I got my ATB, we looked, short tail, invisible spurs. Immediate guess was that it was female. They probed him for me and it turns out it's a boy.

Probing is the only way, really, to tell. Even popping can show false females on occasion.

mykee
11-19-07, 03:15 PM
Popping and probing are the only two ways to properly determine the sex of a ball python. Popping, when done correctly, is 100% accurate as is probing.

TailsW/Scales
11-23-07, 05:49 PM
Popping and probing are the only two ways to properly determine the sex of a ball python. Popping, when done correctly, is 100% accurate as is probing.

+1

I have some "well endowed" female pythons right now. Meaning for a female they have good sized spurs. So no looking at the spurs is NO way to tell for sure that they are male or female.

mykee
11-23-07, 10:19 PM
You go girl!

Why not just flip a coin to determine sex and run with your outcome.

TailsW/Scales
11-23-07, 11:05 PM
I am a gambling woman of sorts but it's not fun when you put two male BP's together with no female and there's a scuffle. hahahaha

PDXErik
11-23-07, 11:13 PM
tails never fails