PDA

View Full Version : rats?

reptile boi
12-19-02, 04:14 PM
Does anyone know where i can get large rats in ottawa ontario other than in the pet shops?

Lisa
12-19-02, 05:20 PM
you could order them online

reptile boi
12-19-02, 08:43 PM
Hi Lisa,
The reason why i asked for rats in the ottawa area was because i dont like to order them online normally because youd have to write a cheque then stamp it etc etc... and it really is a time consuming process for me and i dont really like to let my snakes starve.

crochunter
12-21-02, 12:12 PM
hey reptile boi if you find someplace let me know. I'd like to breed my own but the smell gets too bad and is too much of a hassle. and the pet stores can be pretty expensive sometimes.

reptile boi
12-21-02, 02:52 PM
hey crochunter,
I agree with you that the smell is bad. Where are you located? Theres a pet store here that sells them for $4.99ea!!! That might be a good price for you, but thats way too much for what my snake needs

Lisa
12-21-02, 03:20 PM
most places will take CC if you have that, others can do online transfers of funds right from your bank account. who writes checks these days?

reptile boi
12-21-02, 10:46 PM
me! LOL

Them and Us
12-22-02, 07:10 AM
i had to write a check for $2.13 the other day because i forgt cash. haha i felt like an idiot. but hey money is money.

crochunter
12-22-02, 09:25 AM
Hey Reptile boi there is a pet store just across on the Quebec side that you could get them for about 3 bucks each......he had also given me a great deal on guinea pigs and small rabbits about 5 bucks a piece

reptile boi
12-22-02, 09:26 PM
hey croc hunter,
How big are the rabbits for $5.00ea? Thats an awsome price!!!!! Are they alive? Im planning on getting some rabbits for breeding because i heard that their more cleaner than rats and only need to be cleaned just a few times every MONTH!!!! Thats like 100 times better than rats! But i have never dealt with live rabbits before and im afraid i might get ripped by one LOL

JasonBrennan
12-22-02, 10:24 PM
As far as cleaning rabbits, it depends on the type of caging you keep them in. If you are keeping them in an all wire cage that is hung up on a rack, then they are easy to keep clean. If you are going to keep them in a tank, or some other type of cage that actually holds bedding, then get ready to do some serious cleaning. Rabbits crap ALOT, and they urinate ALOT. If you keep them in your house, and you don't clean the cage every two or three days, it will stink up your whole house.

I used to have 10 rabbits downstairs that I used for breeding. I could not keep them outside in the yard because of the zoning laws in my city. Anyways, I had to go out of town for a few days (5 days, I think it was), and when I came back....WOW DID THEY STINK!!!) My wife was able to throw them some food, and water them, but that is all. She is very allergic to rabbits, and she broke out in hives just going down there long enough to feed them. So, long story short, we got rid of the rabbits.

Now, I have a few farmer friends that I get all the rabbits I need from for next to nothing. I get them for free from one of them, and from the other guy I get them for $1.00. However, that is because I am friends with them, not because they usually sell them that cheap.

Sorry about the long post. Just wanted to let you know what you are in for.

reptile boi
12-23-02, 08:48 PM
hi jason,
Where are you located? Would it be possible if you could get me some rabbits for cheap too?

Thanks,
RB

Dom
12-24-02, 12:12 AM
hey guys .. for Ottawa ..

The two best pets stores are as follow for rats ..

One is Pet heaven on St-Laurent although the prices aren't great there the cheapest on in Ottawa - but if u do go on the Gatineau side .. Le Salon Du Chien Et Plus on Greber street sells em' for even cheaper from anything from pinie to large adults to guinea pigs to rabbits (I beleive that is what Crochunter is talking about)

I drive the 40 minutes every two weeks fr my food - its worth it in the end

Take care Dom

reptile boi
12-24-02, 01:24 AM
Hey Dom,

Whats the exact price for large rats and small rabbits in the le salon de chien place? (sorry for my bad french, but i cant speak it very well so thats one of my disadvantages. LOL)

Linds
12-24-02, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by reptile boi
Im planning on getting some rabbits for breeding because i heard that their more cleaner than rats and only need to be cleaned just a few times every MONTH!!!! Thats like 100 times better than rats!

Eep! :eek: Rabbits are probably some of the messiest rodents IMO. They smell awful, and urinate/defecate unbelievable amounts. Rats (when kept clean) are definitely one of the cleaner feeder rodents you can breed, next to gerbils. I don't find mine smell at all as long as I clean them every 3 days. Also, a great tool (haven't tested it on my rodents yet, but use it in my bedroom which is also home to 38 animals and a litterbox - however Ive spoken to people that have had success using it with their rodents), is an air cleaner such as a small wall-mounted unit (just plugs right in) like the Tru-Air air filter. It only runs about $30 CDN and does a miraculous job of keeping the air odour-free.

Dom
12-24-02, 02:56 PM
I bleive adult rats are 3$ ad rabits and guineas are around 5 (any size) .. the more u buy the cheaper it is ..

Hes a good friend so to me its really worth the drive.. ( his name is Fern - he is the owner with his with..)

reptile boi
12-24-02, 06:47 PM
Hey Dom,
Do you get discounts from Fern or do you pay the regular price?

JasonBrennan
12-24-02, 09:26 PM
reptile boi ,

I am located in N/W Alabama, USA. Sorry, but that would be quite a drive for you to go for rabbits!!!! j/k.

Speaking of rabbits, I just fed my new retic tonight. He is a 15 ft het albino, and he took 2 rabbits around 8 and 10 pounds each!!!

reptile boi
12-24-02, 10:00 PM
Anyone know what the adress to the salon du chien place is? Its all in french in my phonebook :eek: >( :mad:

Dom
12-25-02, 01:12 AM
Reptile Boi ..

Yes I get a realy good discount generally ..

hmm the number of the place is .. 561-7557.

Call them - they will tell you - he speaks english too - not perfectly though .. basically, comming off highway 50 to Gatineau, take exit for Greber street I think - the one right after MAlony .. tit will bring u to a set of lights .. turn left .. and drive down 500 meters and its in the litle plaza there on your left - its hard to miss..

take care
Dom