PDA

View Full Version : How long before new snake eats

Carito
08-24-07, 06:06 PM
Hello everyone. New here. Well after a long hiatus, I've got me another snake. Haven't had one in quite a few years. So it's been a while.

Anyways I just got in Tuesday 4 days ago, a female Hog Island Boa. She came with her feeding card and looks quite healthy. Tried to feed her a couple babies today but she wasn't remotely interested. Now I've never purchased an animal overnight so maybe some of you know. About how long should I expect her to go before she resumes feeding? Should I keep trying every couple of days or so or just wait till some time next week?

Thanks for any advice you have,
Carito

Joe
08-25-07, 10:27 AM
if she was mine, I would leave her completly alone for at least a week, no handling or feeding, if she doesnt eat in a week, I would continue leaving her alone, offering the same prey item as the previous owner? if not try giving her that, I wouldnt be concerned if she went several weeks without eating, if she starts to noticably be losing weight it then would be time to look into other methods of getting her eating, Im sure she will be fine though, just double check your set up for her, monitor heat and humidity all that jazz, make sure its in ideal ranges, good luck and congrats on your new girl

The Snake Guru
08-25-07, 01:32 PM
Agreed 7 days is standard for a settling in period.
~B~

juggalo
08-25-07, 03:06 PM
don't take any advice for me i can't ever wait but 7 days is the suggested time frame i am just a sucker for a hungry face and mine eat when i think they want food lmao which with burms is all the time

Carito
08-25-07, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the help. I think my setup is fine for now. Ive got a reptisun10 bulb for light, a water bowl, hide, and a piece of drift wood.

For heat I have an undertank stuck on one side and a 40w bulb on top since the cypress mulch doesnt transmit heat well. So on the warm side its showing 86 and the cool side is 82.

I'll give her a week though without taking her out or feeding.

Thanks for the advice
Carito

mykee
08-25-07, 06:22 PM
Get that 86 up to a 92-95 and all sounds ok.

Carito
08-25-07, 07:02 PM
92 Really that high? I had just set it up from what I had read. Would that temp be just for the next week or so is would that be the normal temp for the heated side of the tank. She spends most of her time perched on her log on the cooler side as it is.

The Snake Guru
08-25-07, 09:38 PM
He's right 84 to 86 for the backround temp.....should have a hotspot registering 90 to 95.

If you are using an Undertank heat pad or something that will take care of your hotspot.
~B~

Diggy415
09-13-07, 10:32 AM
i acquired a snake from a friend on 8-1-07, it wouldn't eat and 3 weeks later a friend(breeder) and i force fed it and it took it, then it ate on its own a week later with no ill effects, waiting for it to defecate before feeding again. I know force feeding is a last resort and it was for mine, as long as you know what you are doing it can all work out for the best and i won't hesitate to do it for any snake that may need it.

gonesnakee
09-13-07, 12:42 PM
IMHO 9 times outta 10 when someone force fed a snake they shouldn't have. 3 weeks without food for a snake is nothing. I would never FF a snake that was previously eating prey on its own. I don't even consider FF babies until around 3 months. More often than not they start on their own prior that if allowed to do so. FF a baby too soon can turn it off prey even longer. Mark

Boots Hawks
11-10-07, 11:42 AM
I know when I get a new kid that they like to explore everything in the cage. They make sure they can't get out almost constantly moving. If it looks like they have settled down, come back later and they are somewhere else in the cage, they have not settled down. Once they do settle down maybe 2 or three days I offer food, something small. If they don't take it right away, I give them another day, until they eat. I also don't handle them for at least a week so they feel safe and secure. It has always worked for me. The only way I would not do it this way is if the seller I got it from says they had eaten within the last 24 to 48 hours, and I always ask the sellen when they ate last. If you see them striking at the prey but not taking it, I would say they are just hissed off, not ready for food.

Boots H.