PDA

View Full Version : Hogg Island Boa

Zortal
07-13-07, 02:48 PM
Hello everybody! I'm new to this forum, but not new to snakes. I have a Corn Snake, and I'm thinking of getting something bigger. I'm interested in a Hogg Island Boa. I have read a lot of good things about them.

Does anybody have any experience with a Hogg Island Boa they could share with me? I have read that they are semi-arboreal, do they spend much time off the ground? Are they very active, or do they tend to sit on your lap happily?

Any and all info would be great.

Thanks
Alex

The Snake Guru
07-13-07, 08:34 PM
Hogg Island boas are a great species for the aspiring boa keeper....they are on of the smaller locals with adult females averaging in the 6 foot range, much less bulky than thier Columbian cousins. Care is indentical to columbians only you won't have to set aside quite as much space a 4ftx2ftx2ft cage would be more than enough for Adult female Hogg.

Boas in general are not very active snakes, they do somewhat like to climb (some more than others, varies on the individual) but for the most part floor room is more important than hieght. Temperments also vary from individual to individual.
As for a "lap" snake....I think I'll just leave that one alone, since we've already had some discussions around here about that already. LOL

~B~

Diggy415
07-13-07, 09:50 PM
Here is my hogg/ghost Flicka when she was just a tadpole, she is now 3 yrs and 20lbs and 74" healthy as all get out and calm as well. She was a big hissy but and i was ready to give up on her and on occasion she still is and has never struck at me. I love hoggs! i keep her in a 4' boaphile cage.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/diggy415/Snakes/100_6841.jpg

and now:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/diggy415/Snakes/Flicka020385x289.jpg

The Snake Guru
07-13-07, 11:20 PM
Not to be overly critical, but if that's a Hogg Island it isn't pure...beautiful girl, but the Columbian influence shows right through.

Sorry I don't mean to judge.

P.S....went back and read it again....It isn't a Pure Hogg, I see now....sorry should've caught that.

~B~

Diggy415
07-14-07, 06:32 AM
i only call it as the breeder did, could care less what she is, i love her just the same. Can't change that. what ever she is she is mine :)

The Snake Guru
07-14-07, 11:34 AM
LOL, no worries man, she is a beautiful snake. The Hogg part of her lineage is most likely where she gets those beautiful oranges.

~B~