PDA

View Full Version : Name Change

stewart
04-15-02, 07:05 AM
Does anyone else think that the name of this forum should be changed to something that places more emphasis on observation rather than collecting? It might give the wrong idea to people who are new and don't realize that in most Provinces, collecting of native species is illegal? Just a thought.

Andrew
04-21-02, 10:43 AM
I know how you feel and where you are coming from when you say that you want the name to be changed. This forum is not trying to have people list things that they have collected in the wild and brought home. We are trying to educate people about the herps that are in the wild and overall we want the conservation to be a prime thought. I have no problem if you want to email Jeff and tell him that you think the name should be changed. This is just a place to share things that they have seen in the wild and even pictures of them. I do have a problem when people go and just bring home everything that they find, whether it be protected or not. But that is the only reason that it is called field collecting, because it is the animals that have been found in the field. I don't know if something like field conservation would make people think that it is something to do with groups that go and protect them, but if you can think of a more appropriate name, I have no problem with you submitting it.

Andrew

stewart
04-21-02, 11:04 AM
Field Herping works for me, its just the work collecting that I have a problem with. On another note, its been a great spring so far. Tons of turtles basking, lots of frogs calling and lots of garters (including a group of 15-20 breeding). Species count isn't high yet, but quantities are.

Happy Herping