PDA

View Full Version : Crabbies

Pythonian
12-15-02, 11:08 PM
hey guys i don't even deserve to be on this forum .. i have a 10g tank with one goldfish (gold) and another goldfish (that is black with bulging eyes) hehe.. but i love them to death! (names are paco and pedro). so i'm not like a breeder or anything just a kid with pets :) anyway. I have 2 land hermit crabs too (iccus and oblina :-D ) and i want aquatic ones:
A. are they freshwater?
B. Can they live with the my goldfish
and C. where can i find them?? THank u :)

Mike

Shane Tesser
12-21-02, 04:58 PM
Hmmm those are tough questions. First off hey..we all started with gold fish..i still keep them...i have almost the same as you...a black moore...the one with the bulging eyes..lol and a gold calico fantail..these two are proven breeders and i will never give them up..they are also about ten years old. Im not much of an expert on crabs...ill tell you what i do know..yes there is some freshwater ones..infact there is several types...getting these is a matter in itself. Any type of freshwater crap is hard to get..there just isnt the demand. Most that are available, actually need a little salt in their water..which more or less makes them a brackish water crab...ie..fiddler crabs, and they need to come out of the water. As for suitable with goldfish, im sorry..but i just dont know of any...any that will either A-be attached by the goldfish for being too small...or B-eat the goldfish if they can catch them...sorry :(...but do some research..you may be able to prove me wrong..and if you do, please let me know as i would be interested in going in with you if you have to import them :D

Shane Tesser
12-21-02, 05:51 PM
lol, i just noticed that i spelled crabs, crap...heheheh, amongst numerous other spelling errors :D

Pythonian
12-23-02, 06:00 PM
yea heheh i investigated.. they do have BEAUTIFUL hermit crabs that live in brackish water... but they are hard to take care of and i'm only experianced with reptiles and goldfish .. i'll stick to my land hermits for now :) but i would reccomend you check them out.. they are gorgeous.. blue, orange, purple, red, yellow.. they really are..

Mike

marisa
12-23-02, 07:37 PM
Local petstore sells "Fiddler Crabs" and normally have like 40-50 of them. My roomate has four of them himself.

But like Shane said, they actually enjoy "brackish" water, although its "fresh" they appreciate a bit of salt......well so far as my roomate can find researching and online and from just keeping them. Had them for about a year and a half now.

marisa

Pythonian
12-23-02, 09:02 PM
yea i wanted a hermit crab though. they are so friggen cute!!

Mike

p.s. Thank you for all ur help everybody :)

Weather1
12-27-02, 06:06 AM
Have you ever looked into African Moon crabs?

I had a pair of them long ago. They are real cool and get as round as a pop can..They lived in only fresh water, but they like to eat small gold fish.

Weather1
12-27-02, 06:06 AM
Have you ever looked into African Moon crabs?

I had a pair of them long ago. They are real cool and get as round as a pop can..They lived in only fresh water, but they like to eat small gold fish.