PDA

View Full Version : eggs ? snail eggs ?

Canadaherp
12-14-02, 06:24 PM
i had some really small snails in my tank and i thought i got rid of them, but now theres this mass at the back and it looks like frog eggs, with ****e coming out of it, but one of the eggs is as big as any of the snails in there, what could this be ?

Shane Tesser
12-14-02, 09:47 PM
Erik..sometimes if eggs dont take they get swelled or mouldy..so this could be the factor for the size of the eggs? For snails its hard to say though...they are pretty hardy and i cant imagine them having to much trouble. Some are also A-sexual..so unless you get rid of every single one...youll never get rid of them. Or you could go the exact route..and maybe some of your fish have bred? What types of fish are in this tank...numbers..male females etc? :)

Pythonian
12-14-02, 11:35 PM
i think i know what ur talking about. those little blackish greenish snails... GRRRRR u can never get rid of them ... empty our ur tanki .... put in new gravel .. wash out the tank ... put the tank back together... MORE SNAILS!! i have a little aquarium .. nothing to really post about... but they never go away!

Shane Tesser
12-15-02, 06:28 PM
Fear not my friend...those little ugly snails can be useful in your tank...if you cant get rid of them..just control them...a lettuce leaf over night will attract them...just remove in the morning...or buy some snail loving fish to match your tanks..such as various loaches..like the ever popular clown loach...those will eat them and keep your tank in check! :D

Pythonian
12-17-02, 02:32 PM
those silly little boogers..

ash
12-17-02, 05:40 PM
you could also use 'had-a-snail' it kills snail effectively while also geting rid of stuff like

Velvet
Ich or Ick
Hydra
Snails
Worms
Some types of algae
Planaria (Flat-worms)

its available at almost any petshop and is made by the same cmpany that makes 'quick cure' and 'lifebearer' i.e. 'Aquarium Products inc'

Shane Tesser
12-18-02, 04:24 AM
Yes it does work well i have used it in the past. The only problems that you will incounter with this product is that every snail has to be dosed. If you have large tanks...it simply doesnt work, solely due to the fact that there is just too much volume, and even with multiply bottles it will not blend enough to kill everything. Had a snail does also not kill the eggs, which equals more snails. Some species when dosed with this product will actually leave the water. While some will burry themselves into the sand. Thus leaving the medication effectiveless. Now if you use some of the above mentioned ways in combination to this product you will stand a better chance. But i will also warn that prolonged or improper mixing of this product in planted and some other delicate type species tanks can have disasterous effects. So with any chemical use with extreme caution. Sorry, im not a huge fan of chemicals, i only use them if absolutely necessary and prefer personally to go the o'natural way when possible. :D

Lizzy
01-13-03, 02:53 PM
Great post Shane! I totally agree. I hate using chemicals of any kind to eradicate something! I have always used clown loaches for controlling snails, and they have always been more than happy to provide the srevice! They even get the snails that bury themselves into the gravel by digging with their noses! Good luck with controling the snails!

I also wanted to tell Pythonian that the practice of emptying the tank and re-setting it up again is not good at all. The only thing it destroys is all of the beneficial bacteria that keeps an aquarium healthy. There is always a better alternative than to empty, wash and re-fill a tank when there is a problem. In doing this, many people just cause more problems because they have to go through the entire cycling process all over again, and usually end up in worse shape han when they started having problems. Just keep this in mind if you ever feel the need to "re-do" a tank...unless there are no fish in it ofcourse!

Lizzy