PDA

View Full Version : When you read the genetics behind Albinism...

Jeff_Favelle
12-13-02, 09:23 PM
It seems so strange that there can be two different AND incompatable strains of albino boas. I guess the breakdowns must occur at different places along the chain.

http://www.keratin.com/ar/ar015.shtml

sSNAKESs.com
12-13-02, 10:06 PM
great read :) thanks Jeffie!

Matt
12-13-02, 10:12 PM
ya, your right jeff.....im sure someone knows this forsure, but it seems likely that if they are incompatible than the mutations must be at different loci

do we know if both (or either) strains are defects in the tyrosinase gene or if there is another gene involved?.......

maybe someone a little more involved with boas knows this? Any takers!

Jeff_Favelle
12-13-02, 10:50 PM
I think the Barkers are working on it! :D

BigDan
12-17-02, 05:00 AM
Here is what I know on the whole albino boa thing.

Two T - Negative strains. Strain 1. Kahl or original strain first bred and marketed by Pete Kahl original albino animal was a male.

Strain 2. Sharp Strain also T - negative but obviously genes for this type of T negative albinism are located at different sites or may be a combination of genes, therefore you get incompatability with the Kahl strain. First bred by Brian Sharp and original animal was a female. This is the reason why there are less of the Sharp Strain albinos out there. Having a male as the founding animal makes a big difference.

T - Positive Albinos - produced and proven genetic by VPI Dave and Tracy Barker.
This strain allows the partial synthesis of melanin. They have some good pics on their site. I beleive the original animals were produced in a petshop in Texas then purchased and proven genetic by the Barkers. Do not quote me on that one though.

There are also a few Central American T Positve albino boas out there these have yet to be proven genetic. I know Jeremy Stone in the U.S. is working with 2 males and another breeder has a pair of animals. None are big enough to breed as of yet. I have veiwed pics of these animals on the boa forum and they look unreal.

You see alot of this in other snake species as well, like retics there are at least 2 or 3 T - negative albino retic strains some of which are unproven as of yet. Also a T - Positve Strain as well.

Same goes for albino ball pythons. Caramel albinos T - positive and also normal albinos T- Negative plus Ralph Davis has the Lavender albinos balls as well. I am not sure if they are compatiable with normal albino BP's. I do not think he even knows as of yet.

This is what I have been able to glean from all that wasted time on the internet. LOL

Dan.