PDA

View Full Version : Sea Snake?

python146
12-13-02, 08:05 PM
Has anybody ever heard of keeping sea snakes? If so can you give me any information about them?

Matt
12-13-02, 09:52 PM
not too many sea snakes do very well in captivity....there are a few species that do fairly well. The Olive sea snake, i believe, does ok.
I have never heard of a private individual keeping one, but there probably are a few, i have heard of universities and venom labs keep them.
from what i have heard they dont acclimate well at all.
Most are also incredibly dangerous if you get bit....antivenin is not readily available in North America

sorry, thats all i know

Shane Tesser
12-17-02, 11:36 AM
I wont profess to be an expert on sea snakes or any snake for that matter..but i do know aquariums and fish quite well. Im guessing that keeping these animals you would encounter the same problems that occur in any large...or speciality type aquatic animals. There are several factors to keeping them that the average person cannot provide. Things as migratory pattern, diet, and sheer size of the tank are always problems. Some aquatic animals suffer from what is believed to be a pressure differential...basically the home aquarium cannot mask or imitate the same depths and pressures the animal would experience in the wild...kind or like us being underwater at a great depth for an extended lenght of time...also climate change...light levels, ambiant temperature at the water surface etc etc...man i could go on about this all day. Im not in anyway saying its not possible...but if your thinking of purchasing one...make sure you really do all the necessary research and are prepared to properly care for one of these amazing animals. Good luck to you :D

Jurliki
01-05-03, 11:23 AM
I agree with Shane. perhaps he forgot to say you that the best way to imitate their natural habitat is to have a deep climatizated pool... I think this point is very expensive.
And the big risk... A BITE. The antivenim is hard to get, and is possible that it doesn't work... Their venom acts so fast.

Jurliki