PDA

View Full Version : money savers

-okapi-
12-29-05, 01:59 AM
--> Item (Where to get item)

Hides:
plastic bowls with entrance cut out (Dollar store)
clay pots with entrance chipped into it with a hammer (Garden store)
styrofoam/floral foam carved into hide (Craft store)
deli 1lb containers covered in dark tape with a hole cut out (Deli, Internet)
styrofoam meat packing trays with a hole cut into side (Meat department)
Ash tray with hole cut out (Dollar store)
Toilet paper/paper towel rolls (Household item)

Food/water bowls:
petri dish (Internet)
jar lid (Household item)
tea light candle holder (Dollar store)
Ash tray (dollar store)

I currently am treating my albino leo for hookworms, so everything has to be easy to clean. I moved her from her 20gallon long to sterilite containers with paper towel substrate, plastic bowl hide, and small ash tray food/water bowels. That cost me about $4.50ish for one leo:
Off brand sterilite: $2.00
Paper towels: $0.88 a roll
Plastic bowel: $0.25
Small ash tray: $0.33 each

As I was shopping I realized how simply and cheaply some reptiles can be housed, so I decided to make this list.

While on the internet I came across some leopard gecko breeder (I cant remember who), who uses styrofoam meat packing trays as hides for his hatchlings.

I also came across this:
www.freewebs.com/herptips/fakerock.htm
It would be easy to use the same idea to make simple, naturalistic, hides for herps for a fraction of the price of the "naturalistic" hides in pet stores.

Post your ideas/comments

dance2water
01-09-06, 08:25 AM
Great post.

I use two plastic hangers tied together in a "X" configruration as a jungle gym for my juvenile irian jaya pythons.

I also found plastic dog water bowls at target $ .89 for the small size $ 1.51 for the larger. They are double sided and have cut outs in the bottom edge on two sides. My snakes love to hide between the inner and outer sides. Some of the snakes are a little large so the water bowl ends up off the floor sitting on the snake. My boa never uses his half log hide any more, he likes being under his water bowl.

I put in a few crumpled pieces of newspaper in the top part of my albino rat snake's enclosure. He stays in the top part of his enclosure most of the time now.

I would like to find an inexensive scale(s) to weigh my snakes. I looked at an office store thinking they would have package scales but did not find anything.

Jean :bounce:

-okapi-
01-09-06, 09:55 PM
try to cooking section of walmart or target. or go to a health foods store.

peterm15
01-10-06, 04:00 PM
what makes a great waterdish is the bottoms to the clay pots... they come in all different sizes and glazed and unglazed... as well you can get 3 packs of NON- see through plastic lunch containers at the dollar store.. they make great hides as well/...