PDA

View Full Version : sterilite bin for cornsnake?

escm
12-09-02, 11:22 AM
http://www.sterilite.com/Products/Catalog/1890_LG.jpg

The dimensions of the box are: 16 5/8"L x 9 5/8"W x 8 7/8"H

I was wondering about how long could I keep a juvenile corn snake in this container? I've never kept corn snakes and do not know how fast they grow. I plan on getting a snow sometime soon and happen to have this container lying around. With my limited experience with glass top-opening tanks I've decided I'm never using one for a snake again and plan to go with plastic or custom enclosures from here on out...

vanderkm
12-09-02, 05:18 PM
We have used this size for transport and temporary housing but find that it is not long enough for a good heat gradient from one end to the other. The longer flatter rubbermaid tubs are better for housing.

These are nice because the snap lid is very secure, but there is a little lip around the top that a small baby can get wedged into and be right on the surface when you open it.

Our baby corns hatched in August are at least 20-24 inches and that is about the max that you would want to put in this size container I think.

Mary v.

escm
12-09-02, 05:29 PM
do you happen to know the model number on that rubbermaid and/or dimensions? Thanks!

Tim_Cranwill
12-09-02, 05:36 PM
It looks like you got that pic from the Rubbermaid web site. I checked it out too to see what sizes they offer, but they didn't have many. I know they sell more varieties than that.

Does anyone know if there is a wholesaler where you can order the boxes by number? And does anyone have a list of the different sizes and model numbers?

Sorry for taking over your thread...:)

escm
12-09-02, 06:35 PM
actually its a sterilite.

www.sterilite.com

i like them WAY better than rubbermaid...just my .02

vanderkm
12-09-02, 11:16 PM
Sorry ESCM, I made an error in my post above - I just measured the Sterlite that we use for transport, and it is only 12 X7 X6 so though it looks like the one you show above, it is quite a bit smaller.

The one you have shown is almost identical size to the rubbermaids we use for baby corns 12 X 16 X 6, so it should work fine for heat gradient. Sorry I wasn't paying closer attention to the measurements. I agree, I prefer Sterlite - closes more securly and cheaper here - just pretty limited in the sizes that are available - I have never seen the size you have, but would love to have been able to get them.

We have moved our corns into the larger size rubbermaid 16 X23 X 6 at about 7-8 months of age - again no sterlite tubs in that size available here.

Sorry for my confusion and hope you enjoy the cornsnake,

Mary v.

Lisa
12-10-02, 11:11 AM
looks a little smaller then the critter keeper we got from the pet store for a couple dollars...

escm
12-10-02, 11:32 AM
Lisa,

What are the dimensions on that critter keeper and how long would you recommend keeping a juv. corn snake in it? I figured this would be an ok size at least for a few months as I have read that providing to large an enclosure can be stressfull to a young snake...