PDA

View Full Version : heating large enclosures

Matt
04-11-02, 02:42 PM
This may have already been discussed (if so, sorry), but I was wondering how everyone heats large enclosures (for example melamine ones).

How do you feel about light bulbs that arent caged in. A little risky?
Its just hard to cage in a light bulb for a wirely little snake that can easily get through the holes of the wire caging anyways...any other suggestions??

let me know whatcha think

thanks

Linds
04-11-02, 03:48 PM
Oh definitely bulbs must be enlclosed. Last thing you want is a little snakie getting fried on the bulb :( They do have some very fine wire mesh available at the hardware store. What are the details on this snake? Might be able to help if I had more details on the snake and setup.

I don't have any huge enclsoures, so I'm only going on others words... but from what I gather, radiant heat panels seem to be the way to go. But they are pretty costly... but long lasting, cant burn your snake, and economical to operate, and dont affect humidity. You can also use pig blankets and Kane heat mats are suitable for use inside the enclosure as well. Other options include heat lamps and ceramic heaters.

o>

Darren Hamill
04-11-02, 03:58 PM
Matt,

When heating Melamine cages there are several easy ways to go about it but if your housing a wiry little snake then it can become a bit tricky. I prefer to heat all of my cages with under tank heating pads and Flex Watt. In my herp room that is kept around 80-82 F I can heat a 4 x 2 x 2 with a 12" heat pad at one end of the enclosure that stays at 88-90 F. At the other end the temps are 84 F. This is how I keep the majority of my collection.

I find that bulbs are only good for especially large enclosures or lizards that like to bask and can't reach the electrical outlet.

Ventilation also plays a large role in heating cages. Keep in mind that most herps don't need much ventilation. Most Boas and Pythons actually do better because of the increased humidity. Experience is the best judge IMO...

How big is your cage? What kind of snake are you housing?

Thanks,
Darren Hamill
http://www.hamillreptiles.com

Matt
04-11-02, 05:25 PM
the enclosure is about 2x2x4 and the species is a small Amazon tree boa. I guess while he is small i can house him in something more suitable and when he gets bigger he could go in with the caged light.

Im just worried about him gettin through the mesh holes of the light cage.

Darren, do you put the heating pad right inside the cage???

thanks for the help guys

Grant vg
04-11-02, 05:58 PM
Also Darren...are u using melamine with ur heat pads/tape???
I'm just wondering cause i'm planning on buying some 11" heat tape from the states and just wondering if it would heat through 5/8" melamine adequately.....???
Any thoguths?
Also, the ambient is 80 right now...so i would only need like 7 degrees different....

sSNAKESs.com
04-11-02, 06:02 PM
I use bulbs, for small snakes just put some metal screen all around the cage and remove it when hes not big enough to get through the hardware cloth... ill post a pic in this thread, ill go take it now...

Dom
04-11-02, 07:20 PM
All my cages are huge and personally - i find the best way is to use a heat pad (on wood I stick them on Plexiglass and place thenm under cypress shavings) or two depending on the size) i also use usually one ceramic or IR heat lamdp for extra heat ..

These stay on 24 hours a day ..

Olso i have normal lights in each light that light up the whole cages on timers .. they surprisingly create lots of heat ..

Just my preference .. works great for me!