PDA

View Full Version : Picnic trip to the park, good or bad?

jncoclub
12-09-02, 12:07 AM
I have a ball python, columbian redtail, hog isle and a burm- so I am posting this in both Python and Boa forums.
I have heard that nothing is better than all natural UV light from the sun to make a pet happy, healthy, and flourish. Just like humans, snakes like and really need natural light to. I have seen so many pictures of people taking their snakes out in their backyards and having them outside in general. Are their any downfalls to letting my snakes play out in the grass for a while (supervised of course)?
I don’t have my own backyard, but I am concerned that if I took one of my snakes to a park or something, that treated or fertilized grass may be a harm. I have a mite stick above my tank to prevent mites, but can they easily pick up bugs and other pests from outside? Also, is there such a thing as them getting a sense of freedom or have an instinctual sense that outside is where they want to be and therefore will be pissy or irritable being back inside and in their tanks?
I want to do what’s best for my snakes, but I don’t want to accidently do harm in the process.
So what do you all think? A picnic trip to the park, good or bad?

Lisa
12-09-02, 02:02 AM
Bad, you don't need an incident ruining it for the rest of us.

Kurzix
12-14-02, 10:59 PM
I'd agree on the bad too, if ya wanna play outside, your backyard, or a freinds, preferably with a privacy fence...just my 2 cents

Linds
12-14-02, 11:40 PM
Though most snakes do not require UV lighting, taking them outside in the natural light and *fresh* air can be very benefical. Though all the snakes you listed are nocturnal and don't require any UV lighting, it is not to say they won't benefit from the fresh outdoor air and natural light. Just because they are mainly active during the night does not mean they aren't exposed to small amounts during the day - they may move from point A to B during the day, and UV does penetrate through cover, and especially arboreal species would receive degrees of UV exposure. Though they are not basking animals so their skin is more sensitive and special attention needs to be paid that they do not receive a burn from being in direct sunlight for a period of time. However, public places aren't for snakes - they aren't dogs, they don't care for the social aspect as well as a good chunk of society still fears them. In addition to the fear factor, there's all sorts of pesticides, etc. sprayed on public areas. Unless you know the history of the yard, its best to keep out of it. Hope this helped :)