PDA

View Full Version : Moving up from pinkies

DragnDrop
12-08-02, 04:58 PM
I'm a relative newbie to snakes (but not herps in general), and am still getting the hang of f/t pinkies. One of my 2 corns is now eating 2 pinkies per meal, the other is still at one each meal. I'm wondering how to tell if the bigger one should move on to the next size (fuzzies?). Since I've never had to learn about mice as food before for my other herps (geckos and frogs), I'm really stuck trying to figure this out.
Is there an easy guideline - such as "so many pinkies per meal equal one fuzzie" so it's time to move up? Or is it more a matter of how fast she digests them?

Grant vg
12-08-02, 05:43 PM
It all goes by the size of the thickest part of your snakes body....
Buy a frozen fuzzy from your supplier/pet store, and if the fuzzy seems to be equal to or less than the girth of your snake, then yes, it can eat it, if not, continue to feed 2 pinkies and keep the fuzzy in the freezer to check the size difference at a later date.

DragnDrop
12-08-02, 06:12 PM
Sheeeesh.... so simple, I couldn't think of that myself? LOL
Thanks Grant.

I've got to get more frozen meesies :) by the end of the month, so I'm trying to figure this out. I know if I do end up with too many pinkies, I have a Rhac leachianus and several dozen adult leos who'd be more than willing to help me out with the leftovers. They never got them before I got the snakes (I was a bit squeamish about pinkies), but now that I have a supply in the freezer, I've found out that the bigger geckos go nuts over them. :)

Lisa
12-08-02, 09:28 PM
if the mouse is too big the snake won't eat it either.

Grant vg
12-08-02, 09:56 PM
No problem DD!

reverendsterlin
12-08-02, 10:59 PM
I moved my non-problem feeders up on their 5-6th meal, pinks have so little nutrition. Born the end of July they were all over 30 grams by brumation and will probably be moved to weekly hoppers by the 2nd or 3rd feeding after warming up.