PDA

View Full Version : When putting on the tracks....

Grant vg
04-11-02, 10:30 AM
Should i use screws or silicone or what....i'm tempted to use screws...but will that interfere with the length of the glass etc....

Jeff_Favelle
04-11-02, 11:49 AM
Silicone or hot glue gun man. Screws will break/chip the glass when it runs along it.

Grant vg
04-11-02, 12:08 PM
Yeah, i realized that after i posted this message...
So Do i have the right tracks? There very simple from home depot. White..two grooves the whole way across..top/bottom...is this going to work?
The glass companies have been asking me whether they have wheels or ball bearings?
I'm just wondering before i install them if there gonna work:confused:
Cause i will be using big pieces of glass. (approx. 36"x20" two pieces per enclosure...Will they slide nicely or will the weight have an effect on the way they slide? the glass will be 1/4 " thick..
Any ideas????

Tom P
04-11-02, 12:26 PM
Grant, I built an enclosure with that same trck from Home Depot. It's great! I used silicone to attach it, and have had no problems. I only have plexi-glass in the tracks, but i have had a peice of glass in there to test it out. It worked fine, thoughthe peice was not as big as what you are using. I don't think it will be a problem for you. Here is a pic, sorry about the pic, I am at school right now and can only access my printroom pics.

Let me know how the glass works. I want to switch over, when i can afford it.

I will also post a better, close-up pic of the enclosure, when i get home.

http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=tjprince&album_id=64066&image_id=3&param=4821

Grant vg
04-11-02, 12:35 PM
Thats a weight takin off my shoulders..i spent $40 bucks on the tracks and thought it was gonna be a waste of money after talking to the glass companies....although its kinda hard discribing everything to them after i tell em its for large pythons and boas...lol
I'll let u know how it works out.....
Also, thanks for posting the pic!
Also, what kind of lighting are u using...i'm lookin to put something simple that will provide a lil bit of light but not to much power needed...since i live in a 1 bedroom apartment with minimul power...

Tom P
04-11-02, 12:48 PM
Now, I am not an electrician, and nor do I know much about it, so anyone who is an electrician will probably laugh at what I have done. Anyway, here it goes:

I bought (from home depot) the cheap flourescent light fixtures and equipped them with those repti-sun bulbs. I also bought a bunch of those round light fixtures, for heat bulbs. Now, I used Lamp cord ( 30 cents a foot) and just put on plugs myself. All the wire run along the back (stapled) to the bottom behind the cage. But before they get to the bottom, I have clipped on some switches, so I don't have to get behind the friggin heavy unit to unplug the heat lamps and day bulbs. ( I don't have timers yet) All the plugs go (10) go into a large power bar, that only takes up one plug in. I live in a little basement suite with my wife, and we have not noticed a huge change in energy bills. It is definately more efficient that heat pads and tanks.

Tom P

P.S. - I know what you mean when you mention Pyhtons and Boas to home depot employees, I love the reaction! lol

Cornelsworld
04-11-02, 01:03 PM
I have only used the sliding glass tracks so far and haven't had too much of a problem with them. Gecks sure gum thm up when their waste gets in the tracks, but other that that they work great. The ball bearings and rollers etc. that they are talking about are fog the Aluminum Sliding glass Tracks that use ball bearings or rollers to make them easier to slide. They look really nice, but they cost quite a bit too. The plastic tracks have a hump in the middle of the tracks to make them slide easier. They work quite well in my opinior. Like I said in the post yesterday, if it is the Home Depot Plastic tracks, just measure the opening height before the tracks are in and then make the glass 1/2" smaller and they will fit perfectly. If you are ordering glass get them to sand the edges, as with cut glass the edges will crack and chip easily.

hope that helped.

Greg:D

Gorelith
04-11-02, 02:08 PM
Looks like it's made out of maple? What was the grand total on that beauty? Thinking about trying my next enclosure out of something other than melamine :)

Grant vg
04-11-02, 05:53 PM
Thanks guys!
I'll be siliconing tonight...can i do it in my herp room or is there gonna be a fair bit of smell/fumes that will effect any of my herps?
I got the GE Silicone II - 100% silicone sealant......

Cornelsworld
04-11-02, 06:44 PM
The smell is quite strong. I don't know if the smell would hurt the animals, but I wouldn't jsut to be safe.

Tom P
04-12-02, 07:28 AM
Grant, The silicone I used was a aquarium safe silicone. I forget what it is called, but it was a home depot, in a smaller blue bottle. I was a bit fumey for a couple days, but the smell went away after that. All of my herps are fine.

Gore, I used 5/8" plywood, then put on 1/4" Oak panelling, and oak trim. All the cages are lined with a linoleum that is wood grain. I thought htat would look better than pink and white squares. lol. In that pic, the unit hadn't been stained yet, as soon as I get some more cash, it will be done. The grand total of that sucker is $650. I know, I know, I could have bought it from someone for cheaper, but there's nothing like the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Now, when i show off my herps, I also show off the enclosure that I built!!!

Hope that helped guys!

Tom P

Cornelsworld
04-12-02, 07:41 AM
n/p

Tom P
04-12-02, 07:44 AM
Greg, unfortunatley I am not. But I will be at the show on Sunday, I will stop by and see you.

Tom P