PDA

View Full Version : Will this work?

corr
12-06-02, 02:42 PM
This is the cage I have my BP in. It measures 36x18x18, has a screen flip down door and a screen top. I am considering having two more of these built and stacking them to house an IJ Carpet and a corn as well. I'd heat them Exoterra UTHs but I can't decide whether to use the 10x11s or the 11x17s and whether I should mount them on the bottom or on the backs of the cages. Is anyone else using these UTHs on the backs of their cages? I'm thinking that the 10x11s would be sufficient if I used them underneath but the 11x17s would be necessary if I used them on the backs.

By stacking them I could contain the humidity much better and still have circulation through the front. The corn could be on top because the humidity isn't as crucial for them.

Any thoughts?

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/3009/88cageedit.jpg

dvs
12-06-02, 02:51 PM
Then what kind of lighting are you going to use???

Tim Winegard
12-06-02, 04:30 PM
I donno about UTHs
But I know that heat panels or heat tape works well

Quervo
12-06-02, 04:36 PM
I would say UTH or heat tape on the bottom. BP's do like their belly heat.
Like DVS said .. how will you light them? If you have enought space between the cages to house the lights you should have no problems keeping things ventilated between the cages. If you do the lights inside the cage I would make sure you put a spacer between the cages to allow for some air flow

corr
12-06-02, 05:06 PM
What if I used some kind of flood light to the side to light all three cages? Forgive my ignorance, but is lighting really necessary if I don't intend on breeding any of them?

I think spacing them slightly is a good idea... maybe just some 3/4" strapping on the ends of the tanks. This will keep the lower and middle cages from getting too hot if the UTHs are on the bottoms.

Thanks guys!

Tim Winegard
12-06-02, 05:48 PM
Well I dont think light is absolutely neccesary
but how would you like being in a hot box with now light LOL
I there must be some way to light them

Dom
12-06-02, 05:56 PM
Light is of no real importance unless they are there for breeding purpose .. I have lights on for the soul purpose of mimicking the day and night fluctuations through out the year .. and even then, that is not nessecery for breeding...

lol Tim .. Honestly, the snake probably would prefer living in a hide box all his life! More security on his part .. try not to look at it as how would u feel but rather how the snake would feel .. two diferent things... Just my two cents..

As for ventilation, I personally would not let any ventilation from the top mesh - judging frome the size of your ventilation on the side, any extra will dry out your cage in no time.. Humidity will be a big problem..

If you want to space the cages no problem but try not to leave air flow .. as I said those are real good vents in the front..

Also your UTH from the top cages will actually help heat the bottom cage if there is not ventillation between the cages wich is to your advantage..

Thes are just oppinions and how I would do it .. take it as you will

best of luck Corr, Let us know what u have decided to do

Dom

corr
12-06-02, 05:56 PM
I could mount those under cabinet fluorescents in each cage... or even a four foot strip on it's end... hmmm...

corr
12-06-02, 06:26 PM
LoL, Dom you beat me to the line by hair! I was on the same wavelength with leaving the cages snug together to preserve humidity and heat. I think the 10x11 UTHs would be fine considering the lower two cages would get the heat from top and bottom, like you said. The only thing is this - the UTHs need space to allow for the plastic connector which is 1/2" thick. Now this is why I was considering mounting them on the backs of the cages.

I know BPs like belly heat but this one has been thriving with overhead (CHE) heat since I got him.