PDA

View Full Version : When a goldfish swollows gravel - what happens??

vanderkm
12-06-02, 11:03 AM
I have a 4 inch long lion head goldfish that got a piece of gravel stuck in his mouth while sucking food from the bottom of his tank last night. They are not used to sinking pellets and really seem to love this new stuff and they really are pigs! He spent a few minutes frantically swimming around the tank, then suspended upside down as if hoping it would fall out. I tried a 'Heimlich' whole body squeeze on him and I am pretty sure that instead of spitting it out that he swollowed it.
The gravel was an ok size when the fish were smaller, but they have grown and have bigger mouths now. The piece he had in his mouth pretty well filled his mouth up and I am pretty sure it won't make it out the other end!
My question is whether he will just live fine with a piece of gravel in his stomach, has anyone had this happen before, what are his odds of survival?? He seemed fine afterwards, went back to scrounging on the bottom and looks normal this morning. Any ideas??

Thanks,

Mary v.

Lizzy
12-09-02, 04:03 PM
Hmmm... that doesn't sound good. As far as I know, goldfish have a long tube shaped digestive system, without a large cavity like a stomach. I'll check my books to see for sure. How is the goldfish now? If it hapens again, don't squeeze your fish, just carefully remove the pebble with a pair of tweezers. You might have damaged your fish by squeezing it like that.

I sugest that you switch to a finer gravel so that the fish can easily spit it out if the get it in their mouths.

vanderkm
12-11-02, 01:46 PM
Thanks for advice Lizzy - the fish is doing fine but I am still worried about long term effects. I don't think the squeeze was hard enough to do damage but can't be sure. How would you suggest restraining him to remove something with tweezers??

He continues to be a real pig about this new food - guards the area on the floor of the tank where it falls until he can get it all. He is the white marked one in the photo.

Mary v.

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/63lion_head_goldfish.jpg