PDA

View Full Version : Staying on the cool side???

Pixie
12-06-02, 09:38 AM
Hello all,

I would appreciate your thoughts on my baby boa's behavior. Since I have brought her home a month ago she's been doing well but has me puzzled a bit. She eats very well on f/t rat pups, 2 per meal once a week. But she's always hanging out on the cool end of her tank. I have her set up in a 36" long with UTH and basking spot (both on one end), aspen bedding, hides, a big branch and a big bowl of water. The temps are 85-90 on the warm end and 80 on the cool end.

She is always in her cool hide or on the branch which is on the cool side too, even after a meal. Should I be worrying about her doing this? She's not very active in her tank either, going to and from her branch to her hide spot. I never see her wandering in her enclosure. When handled, she is much more active and curious also very well tempered so far.

Any reason for concern?

ls1grrrl
12-06-02, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't worry about her. As long as you provide her with the proper temp. gradient, she will thermo-regulate herself as needed. Its also possible that she moves from one end of the cage to the other at night when you're not up to watch her. Our boas are both more active at night.

One suggestion in regards to feeding though. Feed her one appropriately sized prey item if you can get them. Follow the girth rule - 1 item thats girth at its largest is the same as your snake's girth at its largest point. This way you can avoid accidentally overfeeding your baby. The only time we feed multiple prey items at 1 "sitting" is if our snake is sorta "in-between" in size and not quite ready to move to the next largest prey item, but bigger than what we have to offer. Then we feed 2 smaller ones (who's combined size is about the same girth as the snake).

Regardless, it sounds like you're doing good and there's no reason to worry. I have a tendency to over-analyze and cause myself to worry needlessly about my babies. Just provide them to correct environment and they will take care of the rest.

regards,
Heather