PDA

View Full Version : Confused!!!

drewlowe
09-12-05, 01:58 PM
I am SOOOO confused!!! :med2teeth

My book just came in The Boa Constrictor by Philippe de Vosjoli.

For characteristics of a BCI it has... 21 or more dorsal blotches between neck and area above vent. The belly is not speckled or lightly speckled in most specimens.

for characteristcs of a BCC it has...Less than 20 Dorsal blotches between neck and area above vent. also belly usually speckled in black, more so towards the posterior body with defined conspicuous red blotches on ventral surface of posterior body and or tail.

Here's some new pics i took today, trying to get a full top veiw, and i did the best i could to get underneath.

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/Snake-9-12-05.jpg

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/Snake-9-12-05-_12_.jpg

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/Snake-9-12-05-_7_.jpg

I can't figure it out by myself, i see some of both. I count under 20 dorsal blotches but by the book she has BCI belly.

If someone could point out the reasons she's either a BCI or BCC, it would be so helpful. I don't really care which one she is, but i would really like to know what exact species i have, one reason is so i can let my man know how big we should expect her to be.

Thanks for any help and if you need more pics to identify please let me know.

Jamie

Reticsrule
09-12-05, 06:45 PM
i just know by the look of it that its a BCI. sorry i cant give any reasons but the tail looks exactly like my females and i know the look of both species, and that is definetely a BCI.

JAdkins2451
09-12-05, 07:17 PM
I also belive it is a bci.. And I belive that there is controversy about the whole blotch count as confimation.. I am not 100% but some that know more may be able to help you..

Jamie

foman
09-12-05, 07:21 PM
that's a bci, there is much more speckilng on a bcc's belly, and I don't have one boa that has 20 or more saddles.

thunder
09-13-05, 03:26 PM
I also think it is a BCI, but it could be a cross. I really don't think it's a pure BCC.

drewlowe
09-13-05, 05:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies...

I guess you can't really go by blotches then. To try and get myself better at identifing these snakes i've been looking at pictures on the net and in books, guessing at what they were by what i've been reading in the book and then looking at the caption to see what kind of boa it is.

While i'm at are there any other good books on boas besides The Boa Constrictor Manual by Philippe de Vosjoli?

I have another book that's pretty old called Boa's and Python's I belive it's by Peter Staford (i could be wrong). Then another one that's not species specific called What's Wrong with My Snake.

Thanks again,

Jamie

backdraft1320
09-21-05, 02:25 PM
the way i tell if they are a cross is not only the belly but the back circles BCC's usually look like two ovals smooshed together and the tails are generally deep red. hope this helps

HumphreyBoagart
09-24-05, 02:38 AM
I DEMAND A RECOUNT! LOL!
I counted 21 saddles exactly. I'm not sure if it's just the picture, or not, but the very first saddle on his/her neck appears to be two saddles that are joined. If it's 2 then it's 21, if it's 1 then 20. Just my two cents. Saddle count isn't always accurate by any means, but it's does work as a general guideline for "normals". I agree that it looks like a Bci, without a saddle count though anyways. Nice boa, nonetheless.

ffollett
09-24-05, 07:24 AM
I also belive it is a bci.. And I belive that there is controversy about the whole blotch count as confimation.. I am not 100% but some that know more may be able to help you..

Jamie

There is a controversy in boas. Jeff Roane "Boaphile" wrote an article about why its impossible to tell what kind of boa it is by looks and because you don't know were the original blood came from. If you check out his site every boa is listed as a BCC. I think he has the article on his site someplace.

LdyDrgn
09-27-05, 03:23 PM
They are probably referring to the Central American boas as Bci since they do have a much higher saddle count. And yes, Jeff Ronne believes that Colombian boas are all Bcc. *shrug*

Saddle counts are not really a good indicator, though. Head shape, color and sometimes the shape of the saddles will tell you what it is. Some crosses are obvious if you know what to look for. It's one of those things that you just have to learn by personal obversation...