PDA

View Full Version : Name the fishy

dippy
12-02-02, 01:01 PM
A friend of mine took down his tank so I took him in. Any idea on an exact name.

Thanks E

Shane Tesser
12-02-02, 11:16 PM
ill take a stab at it...im pretty sure im right...as i have two that look the exact same...it appears to be a Hemichromis Guttatus...or commonly know as the jewel cichlid...but with a twist...there is a newer version out there with little to no red on the body...which jewels usually have...instead they are blue...now unless the camera caught the colour funny i see blue there...the common name they are going under is neon blue jewels...or at least thats what ive seen them as...so basically i think they would be classified as like a Hemichromis sp.

Shane Tesser
12-02-02, 11:28 PM
Okay...so im a little nuts...after starring at that photo some more i noticed the black bands at the back....okay ill go out on another limb...it also has very similar colour to Nandopsis octofasciatus (jack dempseys)....but if it is...i think you would know as it would soon make fast work of its tank mates...man ive got like five books out here lol...can you get a couple of more pics of him..now this is driving me insane! :)

McPatch
12-03-02, 01:18 AM
I'd say a Jack Dempsey.Looks exactly like the one I just gave to a buddy.

Youkai
12-03-02, 02:03 AM
First thing I thought was Jack Dempsey myself....

corr
12-03-02, 05:42 AM
I'd say it's a Dempsey too, although Jewel ciclid was the first thing to pop into my head. I haven't seen too many juvenile Dempseys, I got mine as an adult.

Youkai
12-03-02, 07:02 AM
We have a bunch at work right now...look just like that! I see juveniles more then adults...

dippy
12-03-02, 11:14 AM
Heres another shot of him. I was thinking it was a dempsey.
Thanks

jakejeff
12-03-02, 12:00 PM
I have a dempsy and it looks basically the same but i looked up jewel on google they look the same also???

Lizzy
12-09-02, 03:57 PM
I have seen a lot of dempseys at work, and I'm sure that's one. The markings, body shape and fins are all identical. Are you missing any of your other fish yet?!

Lizzy

dippy
12-10-02, 12:12 PM
No not yet. Hes a little smaller than the other fish. And they can all hold there own.

Pythonian
12-12-02, 11:13 AM
fish fight!!! lets get ready to rummbbbllllle.... sorry .,.. i guess snakes guys should stick to their own forums huh? ;) I just couldn't resist

Biggz69
12-24-02, 07:57 PM
Hey Dippie My tank is better HAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

Ace
12-24-02, 09:07 PM
I was thinking it looked like a "George" to me. ;) I'm pretty sure you'll know in a few months, I don't think Jewels get as big as Dempsys.