PDA

View Full Version : FW crabs, more seahorses!

Youkai
12-02-02, 02:25 AM
Hey all,

We got some really odd crabs in at work, both with trade names that were seemingly pulled out of a hat. They are 'rusty crabs' and 'mosiac crabs'. Both are brownish, the mosiac's having a bit of black. The mosiac crab's name baffles me - considering mosiac crabs are a well known, and dangerous (venomous) marine crab.
Anyway, both species are doing well in FW, but I don't know if they should truly be in brackish or not.
Has anyone seen any recent imports with proper names...? I'd like to research these guys.

In other news, 30+ new baby seahorses this morning! WOOT!

Shane Tesser
12-02-02, 07:22 AM
Congrats on even more seahorse babies!!!

As for your crabs...i looked up the Mosaic crab, its proper name is (lophozozymus pictor) and yes it is venomous...here is a link: http://www.gov.sg/MOH/mohiss/poison/pictor.html

As for your Rusty crab...i have no idea....there is a fresh water crayfish called the rusty crayfish...that ive heard about now invading the great lakes...i think they definately have the wrong name there. If you can, get some pics...i have lots of books on crabs, both fresh and marine...and some inbetween (lol) :)

Youkai
12-02-02, 12:00 PM
Well the thing is, it's not really a mosiac crab. I mean it has the name attached to it, but it certainly isn't the nice looking marine invertebrate. I mean it's not ugly, but yeah...
I'm going to use my new camera to get pictures - when I get it. It's a birthday/x-mas gift that I can't have until x-mas. Feh! ;)

Shane Tesser
12-02-02, 11:30 PM
Let me know if you figure it out...im still researching on freshwater crabs...there is so many out there...maybe ill buy them :)

Youkai
12-03-02, 12:33 AM
If I find out some can go in brackish, I'm getting some myself!