PDA

View Full Version : black light heating?

Them and Us
11-28-02, 07:26 PM
is it okay to use a black light at night for my BCI. its adds heat when i can't have the regular lamp on because it distracts me from sleep. and while I'm at it can it just be left on during the day. or is it best to switch the bulbs off so he can distinguish between night and day. thanks all.

rattekonigin
11-28-02, 07:37 PM
They sell "black light" heat bulbs at pet stores which are okay to use for extra heating (I don't know how much heat it would provide your boa, though) BUT I have heard that a regular black light bulb (the kind people use for parties and as a novelty, etc...) can damage your snake's eyes and cause blindness. Don't know if it's a myth or not, so someone else will have to confirm this...

C.Marshell
11-28-02, 08:35 PM
If you are worried about the heat at night,just go out and get a plain simple human heating pad.There are usually three settings ..low,med,high,..put it under one side of the cage,and set it on medium...no light given off by a heat pad so neither you or your snake will be disturbed.

Chris Marshell

Lisa
11-28-02, 09:06 PM
what kind of enclosure are you using? if it's glass you can get one of the undertank heaters like the reptitherm

Them and Us
11-28-02, 10:38 PM
i have an undetank but its from his old enlosure so its too small . i have a human heat pad also but on the back wall vertically outsidebut it only works on low and also my room is so cold cos we have terrible heating. I'm going to invest in a small space heater to keep the whole room temp up. thanks all