PDA

View Full Version : heat tape inside enclosure

BILLP
11-27-02, 03:58 PM
I have a enclosure that a freind gave to me and Is currently heated with a light with a guard around it. I would like to change to heat tape. The enclosure is five cages all together. It is all wood with sliding glass doors. each cage is three are 6'x2'x20" two are 3'x2'x20" it will house 2 dumerils boas, 2 milk snakes, and one ball python. My question is: the way the cage is made the top of one cage is the bottom of the other cages. So I can't put the on the outside like I have my other cages. I have never put heat tape in an enclosure. I was wonder if this would be ok or should I just stick to the light and CHE for the heat. Thanks

liquid_mage
11-27-02, 06:38 PM
Maybe you could try it on the outside but put it on the back side of the enclosure.

Jeff_Favelle
11-27-02, 08:36 PM
Make sure you check the temps before putting snakes inside. Your milksnakes will not be happy if kept at the same temperatures as the Ball or Dum's (and vice versa).

Linds
11-29-02, 12:29 AM
Using heat tape inside an enclosure is not recommended. It's nearly impossible to make a perfect seal and should humidit get to it, or a water dish gets spilled, their could be serious consequences. An alternative to using lights and ceramic heaters in the enclosure are radiant heat panels. They are safe and effective, they don't dry out the air, and last a long time. They are also energy conservative. They are a little pricey initially, but a very good investment. Hope this helped some ;)

BILLP
12-02-02, 08:33 AM
Linds, I like the heat panels but I already have the heat tape so I was just trying to get someway to use it. If I can't use it I may have to go to heat panels in the end. I like the I deea of puttting it on the back but I was wondering if all the heat would just rise up the back. Also I was wondering if it would hurt the paint the wall. Jeff I am going to use helix controls for the temps. I have two of those units on other cages and I think they are just the best. Thanks