PDA

View Full Version : Crickets in the fridge?

ShawnBC
05-09-05, 07:25 PM
Hey, long time no post guys! I just wanted to know if anyone of you guy know if it's true that you can keep your crix in the fridge, so that you dont have to feed them during the time they are cold and such..

If I ask you this it is because I was thinking that if it's true, than it would be easier to buy 100 or 1000 and "fridge them" and heat them afterward when it's feeding time, than buying 20 crickets a week and keeping/raising/feeding them..

Too, when cooled, they are slower, so it would be easier to pick them up, I don't seem really good at grabbing them, they're faster than me!

Thanks guys!

(Do you know if we can keep other insects in the fridge? I heard about mealworms, but what about silk, hornworms, super, wax and butter worm?)

stickytoedgecko
05-09-05, 07:48 PM
well I'm not sure about crickets, or any other worms, but I do know that butter worm keep for well over a month in the fridge. I've never had to worry about keeping them for an extended period (we go thru 1000 every 2 weeks

peterm15
05-09-05, 08:01 PM
well theyd go dormant.. but if you had a small fridge or even a wine seller kept at 5 degrees i dont see a problem.. just take a coupple put them in the fridge and see if it works...

ShawnBC
05-09-05, 08:09 PM
Yeah Peterm15, that's what I was thinking. There's those small student fridge on sale at Costco for about 130$, I was thinking ofd buying one and put some butterworm, mealworms and try the crix in it..

Thanks you guys for your help, I'm going to try this out!

peterm15
05-09-05, 08:20 PM
let us know....

Linds
05-10-05, 12:23 PM
I think crickets would die if you kept them refrigerated. I've never heard of anyone keeping them that way either... if it could be done I suspect pet stores would be all over that idea.

galad
05-10-05, 12:51 PM
crickets will die if they get too cold.

You migth be able to bring them down in temp abit, but too cold they will die. I accidently left some out in my car just after winter.
It wasnt that cold but not warm either. OUt of the 100 crix maybe 20 survived.

But as far as meal wroms or other worms go fridging them is allright it stops them from growing and morphing into beetles.

peace

ws

ShawnBC
05-10-05, 03:56 PM
Ok, so I'll just sitck to fridge my meal and butterworms. I'll just forget for the crix. But I'm sure, long ago (before I registered.) someone posted on about how he kept his crix in the fridge and juste heated them a bit to wake them up after.. I tried a search but found nothing..

ChokeOnSmoke
05-10-05, 04:14 PM
Crickets can survive fairly cold temps. Not sure for how long though. I have forgot them in my truck on a few occasions. They look like they are dead but you warm them up and they are good too go.
But.... I dont think they could live in a fridge

fedupdon
05-14-05, 04:18 AM
ive kept cricks in the frig for 2-3 weeks but it a old frig and i keep the temp @ 49-50deg we did this to slow down the growth rate also had less escapees .My leos would eat them as they started warming up.

killer_reptiles
05-14-05, 04:01 PM
ye ai dont think it would go too good tho