PDA

View Full Version : Heating ?'s

Blueeheeler
11-19-02, 03:55 PM
I have a 70 gallon reptile tank that I need to by an new UTH for. what kind is better?

Steady Temps or fluxuating?

I have been looking at 2 kinds in general but I am open to suggestions.

T-Rex Cobra Heat Pads - Fixed 100 degree temp
Fluker's Under Tank Heating Pads - 20 degrees above room temp
Zoo Med Heating Pads - 5 to 10 degrees above room temp

I think these temps are accurate, but if not please let me know.

What kind is better? What kind do you use?

Thanks, Jamie

Kyle Barker
11-19-02, 04:40 PM
personally i find the reptile specific ones a waste of money. I use teh ones for human use, much safer. Also the more expensive ones have good temp settings. In generall the human ones a a lot cheaper too.
Ohh yeah, heat tape works great!

Kyle

Linds
11-19-02, 04:49 PM
First off, Don't rely on what they say on the package. The Zoomed UTH's get hot enough to crack glass, and are very rigid with crappy adhesive. I've never used Fluker's before. Cobra Heat Mats are good, but still get above 100 once they are on the bottom of your enclosure, and they have the bonus of being removable since they do not have an adhesive. Any heating device should be controlled with a dimmer or thermostat. Out of the ones you listed I would definitely recommend the Cobra Heat Mats. Good luck with your decision ;)

Originally posted by Kyle Barker
personally i find the reptile specific ones a waste of money. I use teh ones for human use, much safer. Also the more expensive ones have good temp settings. In generall the human ones a a lot cheaper too.
Ohh yeah, heat tape works great!

Kyle

Safer? Cheaper - yes, safer - hardly. True many people have used them for years with much success, but there have also been people that have lost their herps and homes to them as well. The fact remains that they do pose an increased risk of fire over regular herp heating devices since they were not designed to be left on 24/7. Are you willing to take that risk to save a few dollars???

Bryan Self
11-19-02, 05:56 PM
I must agree with part of what Linds said.

Safer? Cheaper - yes, safer - hardly. True many people have used them for years with much success, but there have also been people that have lost their herps and homes to them as well. The fact remains that they do pose an increased risk of fire over regular herp heating devices since they were not designed to be left on 24/7. Are you willing to take that risk to save a few dollars???
I have never used human heat pads, but do know many people who have with much success. The argument I always see made is they are not made to be left on 24/7. However if you are going to use a thermostat to control it then it would not be on 24/7. Of the mats listed the Cobra is the best. But why not buy heat tape and make your own for a much cheaper price.
Good Luck

Lisa
11-20-02, 05:48 PM
I like the exoterra from hagen. they are fairly wide with their coverage however they are very sticky (though you don't have to remove the addesive backing

Aaron_S
11-21-02, 06:29 PM
I find exoterra is crap for reptile heating devices.Although some of their new products like the waterfall do look pretty good.

nuno
11-21-02, 11:08 PM
The other day I bought some Cobra heat pads and they were terrible, I couldn't get them to 80 degrees nevermind 100.

Blueeheeler
11-22-02, 10:05 AM
I think I will just stick with the heat tape I puchased some more from http://www.beardeddragoncentral.com/acc.htm for just $5 a foot and you can buy a control, but I think I will make my own with a dimmer switch. Thanks for all the comments and good luck with all of your snakes too! Jamie

Linds
11-24-02, 05:25 PM
Wowsa! $5/ft is awful pricey for heat tape! Try <a href="http://www.beanfarm.com">The Beanfarm</a>. They have excellent service, and much better prices!