PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer/Humidity placement

Weather1
11-19-02, 01:21 PM
I have 3 cages with corn snakes and 2 with bearded dragons, Where is the best place to place the Thermometers and Humidity gages in each cage?

Thanks for all that help :confused:

stormyva
11-19-02, 01:47 PM
Welcome to ssnakess!
Ideally one thermometer and one hygrometer should be placed on
each side of the enclosure about one inch above the substrate. I also like to add an additional thermometer at approx the same height and close to the highest spot that the snake might "hang out".

Big Mike
11-19-02, 02:00 PM
I have found that the temp just above the substrate on the wall and the temp on the substrate can be very different. I suggest placing the thermometer on the substrate in the warmest spot. This way you will know the max temp your pet can get to.

Edwin
11-19-02, 06:09 PM
Yup, I agree with Mike. The probe on my thermometer is buried under the substrate with the probe sticking out directly below the CHE.

The humidity gauge is about 1 inch above the substrate.

Linds
11-20-02, 10:59 AM
I have found the stick on thermoemters to be useless for measuring anything but ambient temps, in which case you wouod place it on the cool side. The best kind to get are the digital thermometers that have a probe, so you can measure the substrate temperature as well (your basking temp, etc). You can move it around to many spots in your tank to guage the temperatures of each. One step further is to invest in a temp gun, which I find to be a priceless tool. I don't know how I managed without one! :)

Edwin
11-20-02, 05:54 PM
Linds, that is an excellent point. Those stick on thermometers and humidity gauges dont seem to last very long and are not very accurate. Radio Shack, Home Depot, the Building Box etc. have a wide selection of digital thermometers to choose from.