PDA

View Full Version : Nippy young boa

asphyxia
11-18-02, 06:49 PM
Hi,

Although I have a few herps I am not fimilar to a boa this young

Any suggestions on "Training" my new Boa (Born June 17 02)
as she is quite hissy when I first try to handle pick her up.

How long should give her to settle in to the new cage?

Are they similar to a dog.. for example do not let them think they are the boss? and pick her up if I started to even at the expence of getting bit

Lastly, how much is it going to hurt when I get bit from her?

Thanks
Regards
Brian

sSNAKESs.com
11-18-02, 07:17 PM
just pick her up man... and let her slither through your fingers etc.. dont try to restrain her to much just let her get used to being in your hands and the smell of your skin. Usually once picked up and left alone to move on you she will be ok... dont let her know your scared... just pick her up, dont hesitate...

asphyxia
11-18-02, 07:24 PM
Hi Jeff,

Are you saying go in fast and get her befor she has time to strike?

Thanks
Brian

Tim_Cranwill
11-18-02, 07:25 PM
Frequent, short and pleasant experiences are good too. If she's freaking you out a bit, just stick it out for 5 or 10 minutes every few days and she'll be better in no time.

One trick I've read is to throw (or gently place ;)) an old t-shirt of yours in her enclosure. This will make her familiar with your scent and not associate it with danger.

Let us know how it goes...

Tim_Cranwill
11-18-02, 07:30 PM
One more thing...

I have this Honduran Milk Snake that bit me twice when I first got him. So I was less than eager to hold him since I have 14 other snakes to choose from that don't bite me. But my buddy would come over and just pick him up with no trouble whatsoever. It was all in his attitude. Now when I go to grab him I try to keep that attitude and I haven't had a problem since. He's actually a pleasure to handle:)

But all in all, play it be ear. If she's determined to take a chunk out of you, maybe walk away until she cools off a bit.

asphyxia
11-18-02, 08:19 PM
I wish!! to the Above, this snake starts hissing and striking as soon as I get in the room.

A funny thing though I was handling her with no problems at the show, and yesterday when she was in her small container...now that she has her 50 gal. set up she is FREAKING OUT??

Should I pin her down then grab her (gently) behind the neck untill sh settles down?

Plus how much is this going to hurt, I have yet to be bitten by a snake or any of my reptials yet... Is it a stupid idea to let her bite me until she knows it doesent scare me.

I was less intiminated training my Pitbull Mastiff cross

asphyxia
11-18-02, 09:32 PM
finally!! Got her

nuno
11-18-02, 11:13 PM
Give her a week to relax and get use to her cage then slowly handle her, the main thing is not to hesitatate or you might freak her out.

Nuno

Them and Us
11-20-02, 02:22 PM
i was given the advice that for small young boas that a smaller enclosure to start out with is good becuse they feel more secure as opposed to large one and then gradually moving to bigger enclosures. also Cranwill's thing about the shirt is great advice i did that for Caesar my boa and it seemed to work wonders.