PDA

View Full Version : two feeding questions

Them and Us
11-14-02, 07:30 PM
i have two questions today. i ask so many questions here all the time. one is will a snake refuse to eat at first when moved to a new enclosure. i moved my BCI to a new igger enclosure and i went to feed him today. i haven't been keeping to a perfect schedule of feeding but he/she always takes it anyways. I'm going to try to get my snakes on a every thursday rotation. but anyway i put him in his box with his food left him for a good hour and still no go. any ideas? i also thought well maybe he just isn't hungry. my other question is how do you determine the size of the mouse/rat. I can feed the boa two large fuzzies but can he take a full grwn mouse. i don't know. any wya to determine? i heard something about the fattest part of the body or something or other. thanks. Todd.

stormyva
11-15-02, 09:15 AM
A snake may or may not go off of feed when moved to a new home. It really depends on the particular snake. Limit your handling sessions until next week when it is feeding time to allow the snake to adjust to it's new home. If everything is good in it's new home it should eat with out any problems.

As far as the size..... try to stay keep the prey about the same diameter as the largest part of your snake.

Good luck!

Dom
11-15-02, 10:38 AM
Good suggestion Storm ...

Even - try to feed him smaller prey items for the first feedin .. you heigten your feeding chances..

On an other note .. I find in general that smaller snakes do much much much better in small quarters .. they seem to require much more the security of a confined and and small enclosure (not the same for a full grown adult though)..

So basically how big is you snake and how big was his old and now new cage?

I am sure, even I can garantee no matter how big the cage is, that she will eat .. the question is how long will it take t'il she feels secure.. Check her temps and hides if all seems well give her an other week to settle and try to douzens of tricks that work for feeding snakes.. As long as her husbandry requirements are met, in time she will eat.

Best of luck to you.

Don't worry about it .. Your BCI will eat in time

nuno
11-15-02, 12:20 PM
Hi,
Just wait a week and try to:

- Feed according to gurth (thickness of body)
- Feed in a Rubbermaid with lights off
- Feed once a week or according to age and size

Hope it helps