PDA

View Full Version : fir bark

Dunner
11-14-02, 11:28 AM
is fir bark/mulch a good substrate to use for BCI's?

reverendsterlin
11-14-02, 12:25 PM
Because of close association with pine, I doubt it. A general rule I use when I look at new substrates is odor. If it has a distinct scent like pine, cedar, and other aromatic woods I ignore it.

Dunner
11-14-02, 01:04 PM
alright, thanks a lot, what would you reccommend, other than newspaper, i was going for a display tank, they're still young, i was just going to go with the indoor outdoor carpeting, and none of the stores around here carry aspen or cyprus mulch, so any ideas, thanks

Edwin
11-22-02, 09:07 PM
I use reptibark for my BCI's terrarium. it keeps the humidity quite well, looks nice, and can be easily spot cleaned. I dont remember how much

In my larger terrarium (6x2x2), I use bark chips from a Red Rose nurseries. They go for about $5 or so for a huge bag. Make sure that the chips are not pine or cedar. The problem with these chips are that they are quite dirty compared to those specially for reptiles. You may have to bake it in the oven to get rid of the springtails and insects.

Lisa
11-23-02, 12:27 AM
we're using cypress mulch and aspen shavings

Linds
11-24-02, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Edwin
I use reptibark for my BCI's terrarium. it keeps the humidity quite well, looks nice, and can be easily spot cleaned. I dont remember how much

If I recall correctly, ReptiBark is made from fir trees as well. Have you tried pet stores for Cypress Mulch? If they don't carry it they should be able to order it in for you no problems. Aspen can work, though it is somewhat drying, and not a very natural looking substrate for a forest environment. I think your best bet if you can't get cypress mulch, would be like Edwin mentioned, and go with bark from your local garden centre. As long as it is not a softwood (aromatic) you should be fine....

KaHane
11-24-02, 05:51 PM
we'ved always used aspen and cypress, for more pleasing look I've used nuggets before, but only for larger snakes.

Edwin
11-25-02, 05:55 PM
Linds, you are right, reptibark is made from ground up fir bark. I have been using it for years now with no ill effects, so I guess it is ok for herps.

J.Monaghen
11-26-02, 02:54 PM
My female Colombian loves the Aspen shavings! As do I. It's easy to clean up, replace, and is quite good looking.

joe

Them and Us
11-26-02, 10:53 PM
I've been using soil without he vermilulite ( spelling?).Its cheap and its looks amazing is awesome for spot cleaning and keeps the humidity up beautifully. even in my screen top cage until my BCI's new enclosure is finished. I bake it for about 20-25 minutes at 250 degrees before use though.