PDA

View Full Version : Chronic Regurging hatchling.. please advise :)

sSNAKESs.com
11-13-02, 02:40 PM
Ok, so i have never enclountered a problem i couldnt fix, but i have this hatchling regular corn snake here that is a chronic regurger... He will eat no problem but 2 days after every meal i find it bloated up in his rubbermaid and it stinks like heck.. I am feeding him the SMALLEST of small pinks.. heck they are still red and he is still throwing them up. temps, everything is good, i am very fristrated and if i wasnt such a softie he would have been freezer bound a month ago.. he even shed like 2 days ago.. Please any advise on this would be great.. I have never owned a colubrid before and this is VERY FRUSTRATING...

stormyva
11-13-02, 03:07 PM
Jeff how long are you waiting after the regurg to try feeding again?

sSNAKESs.com
11-13-02, 03:45 PM
i've waited 4 days, i'v ewaited 2 weeks... heh trust me i have tried everything i know which is all non colubrid related, maybe there is something im missing?? hes been regurging for like 2 months..

Dom
11-13-02, 04:06 PM
Thats akward Jeff..

The only thing that pops up in my mind is internal parasites..

Best of luck buddy

Tim_Cranwill
11-13-02, 05:59 PM
Strange....

Any other strange behavior???

I've heard if you remove their water for a few days it might help.

Jeff_Favelle
11-13-02, 07:23 PM
Four things to check:

1) Too warm?
2) Too cold?
3) Too humid?
4) Prey item too large?

Tim_Cranwill
11-13-02, 07:37 PM
I'm 90% sure that I read about that water trick somewhere... I've been searching for where I might have read it, but I haven't found it yet. It may be in The Ball Python Manual, that's the only book of mine that I have lent out.

Good luck...

p.s. I don't know what the water trick is supposed to do, I just think I read it somewhere....

silke
11-13-02, 07:52 PM
i heard that a very experienced , very reliable herper who had this problem with a particular type of snake took pinks away from the mother mice and starved them for a day before feeding them to the snakes
the pinkies weren't as rich and fat and were a lot easier to digest

heyu, it's worth a shot

Katt
11-13-02, 08:26 PM
Hey Jeff, sounds pretty freaky and serious. My suggestion is that if he doesn't come 'round, kill him. You never know what he might have and if he doesn't want to thrive on his own, why fight nature.

Split the pink wide open, expose the guts. That might help him, but if I had a constant regurging, I'd want it out of my house.

sSNAKESs.com
11-13-02, 09:02 PM
thanks guys... i have put him in a differant cage, this time a 5 gallon aquarium with a screen lid, last time was a rubbermaid which was pretty humid.. maybe this will help. thanks for the help.

crimsonking
11-13-02, 10:45 PM
It may be from several different things. Intamoeba invadens (sp.) can be treated w/ flagyl.(metronidazole). But you may want to get to a vet asap. Too low temps. are easily corrected. Water supply contaminated? A vet can find the culprit. Good luck!
Mark

eyespy
11-14-02, 01:27 PM
I've seen snakes come into the vet hospital with membranes partially closing off the small intestine, which can cause bloating, food rotting in the gut, and regurgitation.

If there's a vet school near you, it could be a good teaching case for the students, in which case going down the esophagus with a scope and a snipper isn't too very expensive.

Obviously, try a fecal and vomit culture first because gut bugs are the most likely culprit but if they are negative that's what I'd suggest as the next step.

reverendsterlin
11-15-02, 11:57 AM
another thing to try is just snapping the head off a pink and feeding that only

Lisa
11-17-02, 01:05 AM
Have you tried another food item like an anole?

BoidKeeper
11-17-02, 08:42 PM
Blockage or paracites, thats all I can think off. Have you checked for paracites yet?
Good luck,
Trevor