PDA

View Full Version : Hyper red Nics breeding pics

BigDan
02-16-05, 05:53 PM
Well I introduced one of my Nicaraguan males to the largest Hyper red female misted them down and half an hour later. Bam love was in the air.

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1112Striped_Breeding_hyper_red_3-med.jpg

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1112Hyper_red_breeding-med.jpg

Not the best pics as I took them in the dark but the color on these little snakes is awesome. The female in the pic is 3.5 years old and only a little over 4 feet. These are tiny little boas but their disposition makes up for it.

These little buggers will literally chase you across the room when you put them on the floor.

The male in the pic is normal in color but striped about 30% from the tip of his tail up.

This is a better pic of one of the male hyper reds I took awhile back in better lighting. I had tried to introduce him but he had no interest.

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1112Hyper_red_Nic_male-med.jpg

http://www.ssnakess.com/photopost/data/500/1112Hyper_red_Nic_female_tail-med.jpg

I am really hoping this is a co dom gene but I guess I need some babies first to find out.

Dan

AtlanticReptile
02-16-05, 06:03 PM
Wow amazing color, good luck with the breeding

chappy
02-16-05, 06:29 PM
Congrats Dan, hopefully that proves out for you man. Whatever those are, they sure are impressive.

D J N
02-16-05, 06:47 PM
Wow very nice Nics, getting ride of my reds is deffinatly one of my beggest regrets. Just outta curiosity how long is you male? I know they are a dwarf local but he looks tiny lol

Stav.T
02-17-05, 05:15 AM
mmmmmmmm Dan its been a long time you didint post these. They are so gorgeous!

Good luck with them, I bet that it is co-dom and that you gonna have some like your original in the first litter.

Stav

dave68
02-17-05, 10:56 AM
Isn't that what they call blood boas?

Dave

D J N
02-17-05, 12:49 PM
No Blood boas are an insular form I just can't remember the island they come form.

tonyj
02-17-05, 05:15 PM
'Blood' boas originated from a single El Salvadorian Bci which carried the recessive gene for 'blood'.

They 'bloods' were eventually reproduced by breeding the 'blood' to a 'salmon'. Two hets were then used to produce the 'blood' line.

There is also a 'Firebelly' strain of Bci.

These animals originated from the island of Roatan, which apparently is the largest of the Islas de Bahia, a group of islands off the Honduran coast. They too being an insular boa are typically smaller than the average common Bci.

A small group of red coloured animals were collected and eventually bred in the U.S. They are available but rare.

I would assume that Dan's 'Nicaraguan Hyper Reds' are totally unrelated to the two strains mentioned above.

'Bloody' gorgeous snakes regardless! Good luck Dan.

BigDan
02-17-05, 07:38 PM
I have seen the bloods and the firebellies in person in Daytona and these little Nics are totally different. They even look alot different than the hypo nics as the coloration is much more intense red but I think they are some form of hypo nic and that is why I think they will turn out to be codom. They orginally came from Ben Seigal and he gets alot of the farm bred Nics in every year. He picks through them and offers up any unusual animals at big prices. Nics are extremely variable in nature and wildcaught aneries, hypos, ghosts, t positive albinos have all come in and been proven out eventually. I had a freind who spent some time in Nicaragua/central america and said he caught wild boas and no 2 looked alike.

These were sold to me as bloods from the guy I bought them from but once I recevied them I knew they were not bloods. But I definately knew they were something different. It also has to be genetic as I have 4 of them that look identical. Genetic how that remains to be seen are they recessive or co dom I do not really know at this point. Hopefully I find out this season, if not there is always next year as all 3 females should be big enough.

The little male in the pic is about 30 - 36 inches in length and is about the same age as the female. I brought in about 20 farm bred baby Nics a number of years ago and kept some of the neater looking ones back for myself. When they came in they were literally the size of an earthworm and even some pinkies were too big for them to take. Tiny little snakes.

They are breeding a sweater box rubbermaid. LOL I intend to move them to a 36 inch Vision shortly but just did not want to disturb them too much since they were breeding.

The original bloods were from El Salvador and were first proven out by Ron St. Pierre as recessive.(he also breeds the blue and albino blue tegus) They were most recently bred with Salmons by Rich Ihle to produce the Bloody salmons but the original breedings were from blood to blood or blood to het. Tom Burke has also produced bloods and he was the one I talked to in Daytona about them.

VPI has also bred in the Type 2 anery gene and has made what they call the pewter boas which are the blood and type 2 anery gene expressed in one animal.

If an when I prove them out I intend on doing some crosses into other morphs such as salmons and albinos and who knows what else but for right now I want to keep them pure Nics.

Wish me luck

Dan