PDA

View Full Version : new substrate im using

Them and Us
11-11-02, 10:04 PM
i've tried a few things but i used potting soil without perlite in it last and its great. it looks great. my bci seems to like it more, keeps the humidity up more and spot cleaning is easier. anybody else use it and have any cons? because i'm all pros right now.

sSNAKESs.com
11-13-02, 10:17 AM
Well it harbors bacteria really easily... when your boa get larger it can get lodged under his belly scales really easily. But i mean in the wild they are on dirt and even though i use newspaper and paper towell, i dont think there is any problems with dirt, wood chips, coco fibre, or anything if its used and cleaned properly :)

Them and Us
11-13-02, 03:22 PM
i spot clean and fully change the enclosure substrate every 2 - 3 weeks or so. i was using newspaper but this just looks really nice and natural. im not breeding anything, not et anyway, and efficiency is not my main concern right now. i will deffinitely look out for bacteria and i do change it as often as it is possible and sensible. thanks Jeff.

North
11-13-02, 04:33 PM
Just because I like the look of it, I tried using Spagnum Moss as a floor covering in my Green Tree Pythons tank.. the floor of the tank is wood with a fiberglass resin coating.. so it's water proof. the moss is slightly acidic so it doesnt mold very easily and can be kept wet and if fresh it's bright green.. seems he loves it and climbs down ever night to lay in it for a while, there is a waterfall in there for humidity but this makes it very easy to maintain high humidity, easy to spot clean or replace and is fairly cheap.. it's also excellent for wet hides in any tank.. :)

J.J.
11-13-02, 05:33 PM
Thats a good Idear, potting soil. I use this awesome stuff called Lizard Litter. I really like it!

Jeff_Favelle
11-13-02, 07:21 PM
You're going to change the soil EVERY 2-3 weeks in your cages? Wow. That's A LOT of work.

Them and Us
11-13-02, 09:39 PM
not when you buy bulk and only own two snakes right now Jeff. in time and with the aquisition of more herps I know i will have to use something else. Lizard litter is expensive around here and potting soil is cheap in comparison and looks near identical.

Jeff_Favelle
11-13-02, 10:16 PM
Oh, for 2 snakes, then that's not too bad.