PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend a thermostat

Edwin
11-11-02, 10:36 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions on what type/brand of thermostat to buy? My terrarium is heated with a 100w ceramic heat emitter, and the temps get way too high during the day (almost 100 deg F).

Which brand would you buy? I know that proportional thermostats are superior, but would an analog one be OK? I have a limited budget. Any help is greatly appreciated.

This what I have so far:

Digital Proportional Thermostats (Helix, Big Apple):
Pros:
Maintains temperature by regulating currents
Cons:
Very pricey, almost impossible to find in Canada

Analog Thermostats (Alife etc.)
Pros:
Cheap, readily found in almost all petstores. Controls temps by turning the current on/off.
Cons:
On/Off function does not regulate temps all that well. It can also be annoying if attached to a light bulb, as it will keep on turning on and off. The on/off might also shorten the life of the heat element.

Syst3m
11-11-02, 07:07 PM
Why dont you just use a rheostat to regulate the power output of the element. thats what I do.

sSNAKESs.com
11-11-02, 08:38 PM
buy a zoo-med repti-temp 500-r... very reliable and can handle up to 500 watts of power..

Edwin
11-12-02, 06:58 AM
Hi Syst3m, I am using a dimmer on my CHE now, but since the room temps vary a lot, I still find myself constantly making adjustments.

Jeff, can the remote probe be placed in the terrarium, or can it sense heat through melamine? Also, how much does it cost?

Thanks!