PDA

View Full Version : Leos or AFTs as a better "first pet"?

ChocoMeijin
02-06-05, 02:49 PM
Which would make a better "first pet" for a first time pet owner? I'm trying to get one for my friend's kid, but I keep changing my mind, lol. He's 12, btw ^_^

Sorry if this has been posted before, lol ^_^

Pontus
02-06-05, 03:26 PM
i would say leo because there all the same in care pritty much just leo would be cheeper

Tim and Julie B
02-06-05, 03:29 PM
I'd say leo because of the many morphs to choose from. Nothing like a designer leo to get a youngin' hooked on reptiles:D

Julie

thunder
02-06-05, 04:32 PM
in terms of keeping, they are both pretty easy, id say either one would be a good starter. from my experience, leos are a bit more feisty and interesting to watch, and fatties are a bit calmer and more sedate. a normal leo is generally cheaper than a normal fattie but both are fairly inexpensive. id say, take the kid with you and let him pick the one he likes best.

Slipknot
02-06-05, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by thunder
Id say, take the kid with you and let him pick the one he likes best.

I agree.

damzookeeper
02-06-05, 08:01 PM
Everyone has their own prefernce and I agree, he should be able to pick which he wants of the two. Myself, I love the many bright colors of the leo and their sometimes histerically spastic temperment as young leos. They tend to scream and snatch for fingers when very you, I love that in baby leos and recommend both leo or fat tail for kids. For younger children, under 10 I usually push more twards fat tails though as they are dog tame and will sit in the palm of your hand for hours without darting off like a leo of the same age would tend to do. Normal or stripe fatties are a bit more costly than a normal leo but not by much and well worth the little extra if the child is looking for a slower moving herp. Or, if you can find an older leo that has already calmed down you can have more color with the same temperment as a fat tail.
Personally I prefer fatties over leos for their sewthing calmness but I prefer leos over fatties for thier awesome colors and comical antics. They can really entertain at times because they are more active than the fat tails. You may never know you have a fat tail because they like to hide, although some leos are the same some will come out and look to be fed if they have a regular schedule. And you just have to give in to that loving smile. :D

ChocoMeijin
02-06-05, 08:56 PM
lol, yeah I'd like for him to pick it out but, well, there aren't any pet shops out here that sell em, so the best he can do is check out pics on the internet.... and he can't decide either ^_^;; I'd be getting it from a breeder on this board. ^_^