PDA

View Full Version : is it ok to post pm's on public forums?

BoAddict
02-04-05, 05:02 PM
is it ok to post pm's on a public forum? not a board such as boi as yea it is needed there.

i always thought pm meant private message

ydnic
02-04-05, 05:40 PM
i agree

HeatherRose
02-04-05, 05:50 PM
I think it's just not cool. PM's = *private* messages.

daver676
02-06-05, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by HeatherRose
I think it's just not cool. PM's = *private* messages.

What she said.

Bartman
02-06-05, 04:35 PM
Id say it depends on whether you need it to prove someone wrong.

Cruciform
02-06-05, 05:06 PM
How about this.

If you've got something to say that you don't want the world reading, hearing, etc., don't post it on the internet in a method beyond your control.

Sure, it's not polite to post peoples messages, but it's all to common to see someone lipping off behind the back of other users because they think no one will see it.

And then there's the witch hunts.

I haven't been around much in the past two months because of deadlines at work. I start checking out threads to see what's up, and see this huge thread about the validity of Tony's images, where people go back and forth, make all kinds of suppositions about this and that, drawing it out like some earth-shattering occurence, and then try to validate it by saying that they're just looking out for people with reputations.

Who gives a good god damn if a person has a snake you do or don't, unless that person is trying to sell you something. It's not a **** measuring contest. It's a forum for people to talk about animals and husbandry.

It's just too bad people always automatically assume the worst of anyone right away.

On a side note, there should be a sticky thread explaining the basics of copyright law for people who like to post a lot of pics or want to know what rights they have to collect or repost images. For some reason snake owners seem to be the most anal about slapping copyright notices all over their images, defacing them. You don't need to put them on a picture to make it copyrighted material, honestly. Imagine if Ansel Adams had to stick a big block of text in the middle of each of his photos. :P

Rant over.

Linds
02-06-05, 09:26 PM
It depends. Private messages are private messages, but if you decide to bring your private business public, such as on the BOI, then it is kind of voiding the privacy of the *relevant* messages in question IMHO. Just like in court how you can use a patient's confidential medical files if you bring it the medical history in to the case, etc.

mykee
02-16-05, 07:25 PM
Private means private. No exceptions.