PDA

View Full Version : Morph breeders in the USA??

ozone
02-02-05, 06:06 PM
Hello Folks,

I've been lurking on this site for a couple of weeks while researching my first BP purchase. I have decided to purchase a morph (likely a jungle pastel), but I am having some difficulty locating a high-quality BP breeder in the USA. Any recommendations for those you've had a good experience with? I'd prefer someone on the west coast if possible (I am in the San Francisco Bay Area).

It seems that most of the well-respected breeders mentioned on this board are in Canada. Must be something in the water up there that creates an obsession with boas and pythons :) Unfortunately for me, shipping appears to be a problem across the border.

Thanks!
-Chris

mykee
02-02-05, 06:13 PM
There are literally THOUSANDS of ball breeders up and down, inside and out any state in the Union. Do a SIMPLE search on ANY engine and you'll be inundated with american ball python breeder websites. Good luck on your very easy search.

mykee
02-02-05, 06:45 PM
BTW, a GREAT deal of ball breeders are located in your backyard.

JDouglas
02-03-05, 01:22 AM
Locating a breeder in the US shouldn't be a problem. There are hundreds! Click on Striking Serpents below. Check out the links on my website and it will point you to the "other" forum that is similar to this but mostly US breeders. There are so many its insane!

Slannesh
02-03-05, 02:54 AM
Just as an aside here;
The reason you see a lot of active Canadian Ball breeders here is this site was, if i'm not mistaken, originally intended to be a place for Canadians to get together since on most other 'big' sites the Canada stuff is an afterthought at best :)

Mykee is right though... there's probably a few dozen ball breeders right close to you. Just hit google or something and try +Ball+Python+Breeder+California and i'm sure you'll be well on your way :)

latazyo
02-03-05, 06:53 AM
certainly he realizes that there are thousands, but I think he was asking for a personal recommendation if anyone has one

I would recommend alex hue at www.alexhuereptiles.com however I don't know his status on the jungle pastels

ozone
02-03-05, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by latazyo
certainly he realizes that there are thousands, but I think he was asking for a personal recommendation if anyone has one.

Exactly, thanks latazyo. I should have been more clear in my original post. I was indeed able to find many dealer/breeder websites, but I was just hoping for some personal recommendations (which I have received, thank you very much).

For example, there is a one breeder/dealer I know (NOT someone who appears to be a member of this board) whose website looks great, who claims to be raising snakes in a clean, caring, ultra-committed environment...but I know for a fact (having visited their retail location) that the snakes on display were living in less than ideal conditions. Snakes with improper sheds, 3 or 4 fece droppings, stale substrate, low water, etc. If I am going to spend a thousand+ dollars on my first BP, it is this type of thing I am hoping to avoid: a dealer with a great website, but less than stellar product.

I think I have a few good recommendation to go on now. :)

Re: the Canadian thing - I now realize that this site is/was largely geared towards the Canadian market, i just didnt know that fact at first and was surprised at the 'relative' density of Canadian breeders who were getting lots of respect on this board. I now know that there are plenty of quality US breeders as well. (note: i have nothing against the beautiful country of Canada - I was just told by a dealer that shipping across the border was an administrative nightmare).

thanks folks - my future contributions will hopefully be more interesting for you all - like pics of my new snake when it arrives. :)

nita
02-03-05, 11:11 AM
I believe the administrative nightmare is on the side of the breeder not yourself. In order for a Canadian to ship their snakes to the US they have to fill out CITES, many Canadian breeders though are willing to do this. You would just have to place your order pay and the rest would be up to the breeder to fill everything out and ship them out. Any of you who ship to the US I would personally love your imput here too since eventually I will be offering my animals on both sides of the border.

mykee
02-03-05, 03:51 PM
Chris, I would visit the BOI on www.faunaclassifieds.com before you commit to one breeder, as the one that was mentioned, has some issues. Check it out.

Tyler99
02-03-05, 05:07 PM
If you dont mind ordering, There are a bunch!!!

I got mine from pythons.com, also known as the fardford reptile breeding center, ballpythons.com...Has over a THOUSAND breeding ball pythons. They pretty much have any morph.