PDA

View Full Version : Question

tai_pan1
11-07-02, 08:28 AM
OK, I know someone on this forum will know the answer to this. I was looking at my "Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians" and looked up the range for corn snakes. I live in southern New Jersey and noticed that there was a pocket for the corns range in south jersey (pine barrens area). This pocket was completely seperated from the rest of the "natural range" for the corn snake. My question is two fold. Is this "pocket" really isolated from the rest of the corn snake population, and if so are they genetically different from corns in the rest of the range? Since the gene pool is limited to snakes in the S. Jersey area, are there any noticable differences. It's more or less a curiosity question, since I know that you have different gene traits within the main range, ie Okeetee corns and Miami Phase corns.

Jeff, I'm sure you'll have funwith this one!

Mike

SilverTongue
11-07-02, 06:33 PM
well considering the size and length of teh snake. Most corns or any snake that size does not travel very far from the home nest. I am sure it is for security reasons. So genetically it wont be much different other then the fact that if there were two or three types of corns living within a mile of eachother they will all have interbread with eachother long ago. They are likely to all be releated to eachother but not so closely with the other snakes you speak about.