PDA

View Full Version : Exactly 24 hours since.......

KolleenJ
11-05-02, 09:06 AM
I adopted out Puffy the burm/indian cross and I fill his cage allready....This is a real sad case, but she/he looks OK. I got a call from a kid who said he is moving tonight and needs to get tid of his 12 ft burmese he had had for 4 years. Ofcourse I said Id take "her". Well, I got there and ohhhhh man! She/he is baerly 6 ft, maybe a little more(if it is really 4 years old, ill be shocked!), thin, and was in a cage that had NOT been cleaned for MONTHS!! She was laying in her own filth, and to help paint the pic, the cage is 3ft longX 18" deep. So she had no where to go. She had NO heat and NO water dish. I asked him what the hell.... and his excuse....he was affraid of her ever since he was bitten by a BABY burm!!!!. You could tell she had not been fed for awhile.
Well, needless to say, I opened the cage and pulled her right out....yep you guessed it...not even a single hiss. She was soooo glad to be picked up. Man what a sweetheart! I soaked her first thing when I got home and she swam and drank for about 20 minuites before we blacknighted her, which she had no mites, but ya never know,gave her an antibiotic injection(she has a very mild RI, prolly due to no heat,) and placed her in puffys freshly dis-infected old cage in quarantine. She has been cruising ever since and seems so happy to have heat and clean substrate!

This all makes me wonder just how many more snakes in the SLC valley, and the whole world, are treated like this and why I cant just get ahold of all of them and treat them like they should be treated.

KolleenJ
11-05-02, 09:07 AM
Here she/he is checking out her new home...

PoiSoNouS
11-05-02, 09:11 AM
this is so sad.... :(
Im glad shes in good hands now, keep on the good job .. ;)

Pontus
11-05-02, 09:13 AM
good job man if u ever run out of space helping all the ones u find u know everyone here would help in a second to take care of those sweethearts:D

pontus:grab:

eyespy
11-05-02, 11:06 AM
S/he is already a fine and beautiful animal in spite of the abuse suffered at the hands of someone who should never own reptiles. In a few months under your excellent care that will be a truly majestic snake.

Reptiles are such survivors. We humans could learn so much from them if most of us weren't so silly, stupid, or downright prejudiced against them.

Enjoy your lovely new rescued snake and keep up the good work. I only wished I lived closer so I could see the snake's progress personally. Please do keep us posted.

Lisa
11-05-02, 11:14 AM
I hate seeing animals mistreated. what would he have done if he hadn't been moving? waited for her to die? I'm glad you got to her in time.

Pixie
11-05-02, 12:10 PM
I'm very glad to read that this snake has a new loving and caring home. I would freak out seeing what you saw, did you say anything to those people???

Even though there are some really ignorant people who keep snakes, it's really nice to see that there are some like you out there saving them. Even if it's just one snake, I think it's a huge difference IMHO.

nuno
11-05-02, 12:18 PM
She's beautifull, Good thing you came along .

Seanebones
11-05-02, 08:30 PM
Couldn't be in better hands! Three cheers for Kolleen!

Big Mike
11-06-02, 09:26 AM
Good on ya, Kolleen.

Clownfishie
11-08-02, 11:59 AM
Great job Kolleen :) I'm sure she'll be good as new in no time in such capable hands as yours... I can't believe that people can actually treat animals that way.... :(

Keep us posted on how she's doing!

McPatch
11-08-02, 02:38 PM
The world could use more people like you.Keep up the great work,and keep us posted.

Them and Us
11-14-02, 08:07 PM
it is sickening to see animals treated that way. i don't know how all of you feel about tarantulas but i myself just have always have a fear of spiders. my friends older brothers rose hair got out some how one night and they were al ready to stomp on it when they found it. so me being the arachnaphobic here found it first and almost scatted all over myself when i had to pick the thing up but i did got it in the cage. took it home. couldn't sleep. found a good home for it. but eah i guess basicaly it felt good. I'm sure you feel the same.