PDA

View Full Version : respiratory infection questions...

CrazySnakeLady
01-16-05, 10:32 PM
Alright...Here's the deal...I've got a 5 y.o. male ball python who get RI's chronically (at least once/twice per year)...yes, the temp in his cage is warm enough, and with a gradient...yes, his cage is kept clean and sterile...I've treated him with Baytril previously as well as this most recent infection. This time, though improved, he doesn't seem to be completely recovered. He still has what looks like a bit too much saliva (maybe it's not too much), and he still makes that most unpleasant wheezing sound occasionally when exhaling...I can't turn up the temperature in his environment any more without BBQing him alive, I'm warm-water soaking him occasionally for about 5min at at time to help prevent dehydration...what else can I do? Blast him with anibiotics again? Any input would be helpful.
Thanks, Mel

malaysianbloods
01-17-05, 01:01 AM
you could try to take him back to the vet and see what he says, it may be something else or if it is the same thing then he might just need some more meds. I have also heard that stress can cause them to become more prone to infections, so is he in a high traffic area of your house or does he get handled alot. But thats just my opinion. HTH