PDA

View Full Version : I need a tad of help............

Canadaherp
11-03-02, 09:53 PM
well i got a free 50 gallon tank, but the thing is i also got with it 6 fish, that i wasnt supooosed to..... one of them i think is a gourami, and its really blue, the other 2 are tiger barbs, theres a pleco, and i think an algae eater, but it might be another pleco but with less spotting... theres also some little shark and i really dont know the exact care of these things, if anyone can help, please do so, such as tank set up, temps, stuff like that TIA

McPatch
11-03-02, 10:08 PM
Hey
As for temps keep it in the75 degree mark.You'll be able to find a good genral fish food anywhere(flakes).They are all community fish so they should do well with each other.You may even be able to put more fish in with that size of tank.Plants,rocks and places to hide and they will be fine.

Darren

Tim_Cranwill
11-03-02, 10:17 PM
But what will happen when you add the snakes?!?!?

j/k ;)

Good luck!

McPatch
11-03-02, 10:30 PM
I never thouhgt of that ...Good point..........What will you do?

Shane Tesser
11-04-02, 09:23 AM
Erik, everything sounds good but the tiger barbs with the gourami...depending on the size of the barbs they will eventually nip and bother the gourami....especially by biting his little feelers (sorry i cant remember the proper name for the feelers!) Other than that...get us some pics and he can help identify what you have. :)

Lizzy
11-04-02, 12:24 PM
They're generally called semi-agressive fish...just inacse you ever feel like adding more. Watch those tiger barbs! The temp should be closer to 80 degrees though. The fish will do much better at a temp between 78 and 80. Do a partial water change once a week with a gravel vacume (one third of the tank's water) and feed minimally for the first little while (6 weeks) you've gotta let that benficial bacteria build up again. General tropical flake food is a good staple, but suplement with frozen (not freze dried) brine shrimp. The fish will love it and they will be healthier and better looking in the long run if you suplement the flakes. If the Pleco isn't getting enough food because there is no algae, give him a piece of zuchini! Just tie it to a rock and he'll help himself. The other fish will likely enjoy it too! Just make sure you take it out after 12 hours or less...if the fish have finnished with it. Watch what plants you put in...the pleco is a vegetarian...the gourami might snack on some plants too.

Hope this helps!
Lizzy

Canadaherp
11-04-02, 05:55 PM
but the tiger barbs are smaller tha the gourami, and the gourami is pretty bit (3-4") and all but the pleco is different than the ones in our store right now, different sized fins and spotting .... kinda cool....... i want a zebra pleco though....... meh later with more tanks....... and it turns out its a 55 gallon!

Canadaherp
11-04-02, 06:00 PM
oh ya and shane i believe the feeler thingys are called barbells!

Shane Tesser
11-05-02, 12:11 AM
hehehe your right erik...see what happens when i post late at night after a dozen or so beers. Lizzy is dead on the money...they are a semi aggressive fish...tiger barbs as well even though they are still small can stress out even some of the largest of fish. An interesting note on pleco's...ive read in some more recent books that there seems to be a need for wood in their diet. It is not fully understood as to whether or not they actually eat the wood or if it is just some form of a digestive helper. I keep my big plec with a fair sized log and i can tell you he seems to love it...hes always chewing on it and it is always spotless...spinach, lettuce, basically anything leafy is also good dietary suppliments for them...or if your really into spending money mine seems to like wardleys shrimp pellets and also algae tabs. Good luck with your new tank erik, 55 gallons is a nice size..keep us posted.

Canadaherp
11-05-02, 02:00 PM
the wood in this tank is pretty mucky, and all the old stuff is still in the freezer, but is going in tonight.. adn well i hope everything goes alright. adn i got a big thingy of wardly shrimp pellets from the prev. owner. as well as a few other smaller tanks....

corr
11-05-02, 06:52 PM
Tiger Barbs won't bother other fish if they are in a group of at least 5... they only pick on each other. That's my experience anyway. If the Gourami is a "Blue" one, they can get to about 5 or 6 inches and can be aggressive themselves. What does the shark look like?

Good luck!

Canadaherp
11-05-02, 08:46 PM
they all are in the big tank now, umm but noone will eat... how long do i give/what do i do about it ?

Shane Tesser
11-06-02, 12:57 AM
Erik...there is basically only a couple of reasons fish wont eat...either they are not comfortable with their surrounding: they are sick or...there is something biologically wrong with their tank water...do simple checks and eliminate the probable causes one by one...or they simply dont recognize the new food you may be trying to feed them! Find out what food the original person was feeding them...and what time of the day...some fish even dont like certain brands...or colours...those darn yellow flakes my fish dont seem to like?...but yours could have the same problem...but to be honest...with those types of fish..especially the barbs...i would be looking more at problems in the tank...because all of the fish you have mentioned...except perhaps the mystery fish are all very voracious eaters!

Lizzy
11-07-02, 08:57 PM
I would say that the fish are pretty darn stressed. Make sure your temp is as close to 80 as you can get...cold fish aren't hungry. Then make sure you get the amonia, NitrIte and NitrAte checked to make sure your fish aren't being affected by that. Most pet shops do water tests for people if you don't have testers yourself. Just bring about half a cup in a ziplock bag.

I have never seen a fish not be attracted to frozen brine shrimp. Try it! Your fish will look fantastic! If your fish food is over 3 months old...after oppening...it's not much good anymore. It's too stale and the fish might not want to eat it.

Shane, I think those "feelers" on gouramis and angels, etc. are called pectoral fins...I'll check my fishy books when I get home. I'm in Ottawa visiting my best friend! He and I have the same birthday and we celebrate every year together! Here's to another year! *clink*

Lizzy

tlc reptiles
11-07-02, 10:13 PM
got a ?

tlc reptiles
11-07-02, 10:16 PM
my female burm has a little swelling around its left eye any idea what i should do

Canadaherp
11-10-02, 02:04 AM
th problem with the feeding is they dont like the general brand, they would rather have goldflish flakes and shrimp pellets and frozen bloodworms, plus they dont eat with me there

Shane Tesser
11-10-02, 09:02 AM
Well then Erik...i think you have solved your mystery...gold fish flakes are not the best...but if you can try and mix another more suitable food in with it...perhaps another flake brand...and a little about picking flake food..you want to have the highest amount of protien possible for food...look on the can and it will say. General rule of thumb..anything 46% and higher is what you want.

Canadaherp
11-11-02, 06:12 PM
its sad.... i have a really really expensive food, and for the hell of it i tried goldfish food, they will pick out most of the goldfish food, and leacvethe expensive stuff.. i'm gonna go get a few more to see what they like, at least the one will eat anything....