PDA

View Full Version : just some questions about you owners

Them and Us
11-03-02, 06:19 PM
how does one come to own venomous snakes? don't you have to have a special permit? and if so what do you guys do or know that allows you to have a special permit? just curious. and so as not to seem so up front and rude maybe i think i should have first asked " how is everyone?."

cobraman
11-03-02, 10:20 PM
Well, In Florida we do have to have a permit to possess Venomous reptiles. Back when I got mine (in the 1800's) we just had to send $5 and a photo of your cage etc. Now I believe an applicant has to send documentaion of 1000 hours of experience of working with hots, and one or two letters of reference from other keepers. They ask what snakes you want, but the permits do not specify that that is the only ones you are permited to keep (unlike N.Y.).
Hope this helps.
Blessings
Ray

BWSmith
11-11-02, 06:23 PM
In Georgia, we are allowed to keep native GA venomous without a permit. All other venomous requires a permit at about $400 and a $1 million liability insurance policy.

Personally, I trained for 2 years with a professional before delving into vens.

For more info on permits in other states, i would recommend Mardi Snipes' page at www.coastalreptiles.com

Jeremy
11-13-02, 11:07 AM
Here in Va you can own any Exotic venomous, minus the Brown Tree Snake(because the moronic officials here think this sp may escape and do what it has done and Guam) and can have up to 5 of any native sp besides the Canebrake rattlesnake(which is also ********. Canebrakes historicly only occur in the South Eastern tip of the state wereas the Timbers are found state wide and are in much more need of protection, yet has none in this state).

As for a permiting system, no talk of it yet in my neck of the woods but I would love to see a reasonable one installed eventualy.

All the best,
Jeremy

Them and Us
11-13-02, 09:46 PM
hmm well I'm in New York. so permits i guess would be an obstacle. i don't intend to own any hots for years to come. i have been looking in the area to volunteer at a place that keeps hots but no such luck. i have many years yet to go in my life though so I'm not too worried. thanks guys

BWSmith
11-17-02, 11:27 PM
Where there is a will, there is a way! If it becomes a passion, then you will find the means. Just be sure you delve into hots for the right reason. :)