PDA

View Full Version : How often do you get a new herp?

Manitoban Herps
12-29-04, 05:36 PM
How often do you get a new herp?

marisa
12-29-04, 05:40 PM
Maybe every 6 months or less.

I take my time in deciding what me and my boyfriend can care for in the way I like things taken care of.

I am highly against people who claim they are "addicted" and buy new herps everyday. Heck if they can care for them great, but a lot seem to get caught up in the must have more more more and they cannot even afford simple vet care if something happens to two of their pets at once.

So anyways I am careful what I buy and think long term. I have kept snakes for almost five years now and we have less than 15 snakes here. I have never had more than that in my house unless something laid eggs.

Marisa

BoAddict
12-29-04, 05:59 PM
i take my time in deciding what to buy.
i might not make any purchases in a year.
i have plans and if an animal doesnt fit in my plans then i dont buy it.

my last impulse buy was in 2002 and i ended up selling that animal within 6 months of buying as i realized it didnt have a place in my plans.

Mike

Bartman
12-29-04, 06:14 PM
Its random for me. If I find something that I really like and im able to keep properly then ill buy it.

I dont find something I like that often, so I voted 1 + month.

peterm15
12-29-04, 08:35 PM
whenever im done my reasearch

bighillreptiles
12-29-04, 09:25 PM
Depends on if it is some thing i need for a pair or not and the most important thing is weather it is healthy and if i have room to house it properly some times i will go for monts befor i get some thing new and other times it seems like every other week
:Paul Bighill Reptiles

CHRISANDBOIDS14
12-29-04, 09:51 PM
Same situation as Paul.

C.

snakegal12345
12-29-04, 10:11 PM
Usually one a year

RepTylE
12-30-04, 12:02 AM
Not as often as I'd like. Wish that I could get them on a regular basis especially when I look through the classifieds here.

hhw
12-30-04, 09:18 AM
Hrrm... when I was much younger, I would say I bought a new herp every month or two.

Since getting back to herps in July of this year, I have bought:
July: 4
August: 9
And none since.

On my short short list, there is 1-3 herps (olive phase african house snakes, to pair up my female or more) I will buy at any time as soon as I can get a hold of some.

Other than that, I plan to hold back all pastel females and perhaps a single male if there's one I feel is exceptional enough (provided I actually produce any, *knock on wood).

VI Reptiles
01-01-05, 04:01 AM
Hmmmm, I got 2 reptiles this year....... I hope to get more soon!

Classic
01-01-05, 09:13 PM
For me, it depends how often Paul visits. LOL! And the availibility of new milk ssp.

Brian
HighWaterHerps

clint545
01-01-05, 09:18 PM
I'm with Reptyle on this one, sometimes I hate browsing the classifieds.
I'm pretty much out of any extra room for anything new at the moment. Plus what herps I do have at the time take up a considerable amount of free time.

Rhonda
01-02-05, 06:34 PM
That's a difficult question for me to answer. sometimes when I'm on a roll and looking for specific animals to complete a project I could make several purchases in just a few months. But then I may not buy anything else for a year or two. I WILL NOT buy anything on impulse. I firmly believe in doing lots of research before buying.

chameo_liz
01-03-05, 05:07 PM
When every my wife sees something she wants or when she lets me. YES my wife owns me.

Kris

Slipknot
01-04-05, 12:11 PM
Back in the "day" so to speak, I used to get about 2 herps per month:grab:, but now I usually only get one new one every year.

Tamizan
01-05-05, 06:29 PM
I look around for about 5 months, pick my favorite, then do about 4-1 yr worth of getting experiance with the animal, and learning about them, then i buy, so about every year or so