PDA

View Full Version : First Snake Help

sl1ther
12-16-04, 09:04 AM
Hi everybody,
O.k i am real confused on my 1st snake to get...:confused:
I have never owned a snake before but my mum owned a common boa when she was little.
Could you guys help me pick out a good snake that will not get over 7 or maybe 8 feet at the very very very max but will get over 4 feet!
Here is a list of what i am interested in,in order with most wanted first...
1.Hogg island boa(really love this snake and done lots of research on this but people on other forums say they arent very good for starters)
2.Rainbow boa(b-e-a-u-t-i-ful snakes with gorgeous colours but haven't done much researcj(off to do some now:D)
2.Ball python(like this snake but people say they are EXTREMELY picky eaters)
3.Corn snake(like the lovely patterns but i prefer the thicker boids than a thin cornsnake)
O.k,you have met the contenders...let the voting begin ;)
When you choose a snake could you please say why you think they are good for begginners.
Also could some people inform me of the sizes of these snakes...I think i know the rough sizes but i just want to be sure :p
Thanks guys/gals and dudes and dudets ;)

sl1ther:devil::toilet::joker:

Bartman
12-16-04, 11:33 AM
Id say go for the ball python. Thats what most do, if they dont like the colubrids.

like this snake but people say they are EXTREMELY picky eaters

Im not to sure any more. I have a male thats a crap eater, and 2 females that cant wait to eat. In general, id agree, they are picky, but try to get a cb ball from a reputable breeder and an established RAT (not mice) eater, and you should be more then fine.

If not, get a male bci. (usually dont pass 8 as far as I know, but always can)
Or even a jungle carpet python. They are in between the size your looking for and are GREAT snakes.

CARLiTO_
12-16-04, 11:37 AM
I say get a boa constrictor imperator, a common will do. I had a bp and quickly got bored of it.

Linds
12-16-04, 12:10 PM
Hog Islands are great starter snakes, provided a little bluffing doesn't scare ya ;) They are hardy and usually calm down nicely with a little work. The reason some people think they can be aggressive is that they have a killer feeding response, which IMHO, isn't a bad thing at all :flick: 4.5'-7'

Generally all forms of Bci, be it Hog Island, Mexican, Colombian, etc. will finish up under the 8' mark. Colombians are the only ones that may exceed that mark, but they usually stay around 7-8 feet. I've never heard of the other forms exceeding 8'.

I don't like to recommend Ball Pythons as a first snake. I suggest you take a good look through the BP forum here and you will see the same things over and over, questions like 'My snake won't eat' or 'Why is my snake hiding all the time?'. Nothing wrong with them, mine is actually one of the easiest snakes in my collection. I spend hardly anything on food...lol... it's not uncommon for him to go over a year without a meal :p This can be frustrating for a first time keeper though. As well as you have to be able to recognize when a snake is refusing to feed because of a problem, or if it is simply fasting. 3.5'-5.5'

Rainbows are good as long as you maintain the proper temperatures and *high* humidity levels they require. They are very prone to drying out. Other than that, they are usually quite handlable and eat like pigs. 5'-7'

Corns are fun snakes and super easy to keep. Very active. They are poop machines however, and if you want something with substance, a corn isn't what you will be looking for. They are like colourful shoelaces :p 3.5'-5.5', occassionally 6'

You expressed you really wanted a Hog initially. I say go for it! They make great beginner snakes :)

sl1ther
12-16-04, 12:22 PM
o.k thanks guys/dudes and gals/dudets :)
do i think i am going to get a hogg island boa now but when bartman said about a jungle python it got me thinking...
I have seen one of these in my local pet store but whenever i peered in at it,it looked very meancing.
Are these good starter snakes?
How big do the jungle carpet pythons grow?
Are they of good temprament or are they a bit mean?
thanks for your ongoing help here at ssnakess(it rules!!!)
the only thing that i dont like about the hogg island boa is its rareness but i have found a few on the web;).
thanks

sl1ther

cnb
12-16-04, 04:10 PM
A hog island boa will take the same care as the common boa. And since your mom has had one I say go for it. Bci boas are easy to handle and to feed. I do recomend that you buy a baby 6 months or younger. So the two of you can grow together. Half of the fun is watching your boa grow from the little guy you can hold with one hand to a 6 or 7 ft. adult.

tonyj
12-16-04, 06:48 PM
I currently have two or three young Hogs and some young JCPs in my care. They are each from different bloodlines and each dislays it's own character.

I also own a number of adult snakes of the those same species.

The snakes dislaying the "snippiest" juvenile temperament with the strongest inclination to strike and bite would definitely be the JCPs. These can be little hellions for a year or two.

On the other side of the coin I have one yearling JCP who has been a sweetheart since I bought him. He is very much the exception.

I also have a 2002 male JCP, bought from Mark Isbell who still will launch himself at anything that moves. Mark will no doubt attest to this if asked. He can draw blood at will. ( The snake, not Mark ).

All my adult JCPs however, are handleable, sweet natured and predictably good natured, even at 7 feet in length.
I therefore would suggest that most JCPs will calm down into responsible adults given enough time and a caring owner.

Hogs on the other hand will quickly and permanently settle down if handled regularly over a relatively short period; minutes, hours, or a day or two.

None of my Hogs, young or old appear to have the ongoing aggressiveness and bad temper that many young JCPs can have.

Both species are good to excellent eaters.

The JCPs will, in most cases become bigger snakes as adults i.e at 4-6 years old, but not by much, and both will remain at a manageable size for an adult owner.

When handled, Hogs may do some initial exploring before eventually settling down into a warm position and "snuggling" up to you, whereas JCPs often just keep on motoring. JCPs can be bundles of energy.

They are, without doubt, both great snakes, with JCPs being slightly less money for an average specimen in Canada.

Rainbow Boas tend to be very secretive during the day and I would suggest are perhaps not the best snake for a beginner for a number of reasons including higher humidity needs, sub-strata requirements etc..

You will also enjoy the Hog Island Boa or the JCP more if you like to see your snake during the daylight hours, unlike the Rainbow Boas.

Please note, many of my comments are generalisations only and may be disputed by others.
I am only passing on what has worked for me and others I know.

There has been some good advice and good suggestions put your way, and as your Mum already has some previous experience with snakes, I'm sure you will make the right decision.

I am sure also, that if you become hooked on this great hobby as so many of us have, that you will have many snakes in the years to come including Hogs, JCPs and more.
You could be the one passing along advice and learning to the next generation of herpers.

Good Luck, and don't forget to tell us what you eventually decide upon.

sl1ther
12-17-04, 02:04 AM
Thanks for the support guys.Ye, i think i am going to go for a hogg island boa at the moment.
This may sound like a VERY newbie question but could you just say ALL of the stuff i will need for my hogg island(heatmats,waterbowls...etc,etc)I think i know all to get but i need to be sure :)
Should i start the hogg island in a mothermiad thing then move on to vivarium?
What size vivarium(in inches)would i need for a full grown adult?
thanks again

sl1ther;)

tonyj
12-17-04, 11:22 AM
You will need a hide for your snake.

Read up on Bci care sheets for general husbandry advice.

A young snake will not require too big a container, at least for the first few months. I use small rubbermaid containers with a newspaper sub strata . Easy to clean and cheap.

As your snake grows, save up for a bigger enclosure. A Hog could live in a 36 inch enclosure for a long time, and as the snake will climb, a height of 18 inch would be good. So how about a 36" x15" x !8" glass enclosure with a sliding door, somewhere down the road ? This would show off your snake really well.

Oh and by the way, it is more correctly Hog and not Hogg. They are originally from the Isle of Pigs (in Spanish of course), or Hog Island, just off the coast of S. America.

Have fun!

sl1ther
12-17-04, 11:40 AM
thanks for advice tony
would it have to be a sliding door enclosure or could i get a opening on top with hinges and put some locks on it?
Thanks again

sl1ther:)

tonyj
12-17-04, 02:00 PM
I have both types, top opening with mesh screen, and the front sliding glass type.

The front access ones make it much easier to clean or work in the enclosure plus I always prefer to approach a snake from the side rather than above given a choice. I am also able to stack with the front openers.

It often all comes down to preference or budget.

I started with old fish tanks and they worked fine for a while. In fact I still use some, come to think.

You will modify your wants and needs as you progress, but you are doing the right thing by asking what others have done.

Just make sure that whatever you use, you make it escape proof!
I use house bricks on top of top screens or lids and locks for front glass sliding doors, for example. We don't want to scare off anyone else who might be in the house.