PDA

View Full Version : mouth and scale rot

soupedmx3
12-08-04, 10:31 AM
well i just rescued a boa and it has scale and mouth rot
i was told it was taken to the vet and received some injection ill get the name
i was told to apply peroxide to the mouth rot and polysporin to the tail...so i thought id ask if there was any other treatments
im gunna keep trying this for a few weeks and see if it starts to heal and if not im goin to take her to the vet..
i wasnt informed until after i received her that she has not eaten in a month so is there anyway to get her to take food or some type of liquid food i can give her so she can keep her weight?
i will post pics once i get batteries
if u know any treatment i could try before the vets let me know asap
thanks alot
chris

boa
12-08-04, 10:51 AM
Take her to Chris Crombie in burford he is one of the vet's in your area i am sure he will help her out.

Pontus
12-08-04, 10:54 AM
if he doesnt relly look like it needs food then just dont worry about food right now just fresh water

soupedmx3
12-08-04, 11:08 AM
yea im gunna try using betadine before i rush to the vets i was reading how to cure mouth rot and it said to use either betadine or nolvasan so im goin to buy some right now and try that for a week or 2 to see if that helps and if not i will take her right out to Chris Crombie
thanks

Linds
12-08-04, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't suggest using betadine due to its cytoxicity. Ingestion should be avoided, hence it is best left for external use only. Chlorhexidine (novalsan) is totally safe, if you can get your hands on it, and peroxide works fine as well (ingestion should be avoided, however it is relatively safe for use in the mouth). Betadine can be used to treat scale rot.

chameo_liz
12-08-04, 11:32 AM
I have used betadine before with no ill affects it was something i was told to use by someone that was in the hobby for many years and he used to treat mouth a few times

Kris

soupedmx3
12-08-04, 11:34 AM
http://www.anapsid.org/stomatitis.html
read this and give me your feed back

soupedmx3
12-08-04, 02:55 PM
also the needle she was already given was called baytril
does anyone know wat this is used for?

soupedmx3
12-08-04, 03:17 PM
also the needle she was already given was called baytril
does anyone know wat this is used for?

BoAddict
12-08-04, 03:37 PM
RI's

Linds
12-08-04, 05:06 PM
Baytril is a broad spectrum antibiotic used for many types of infections. A single dose isn't an effective measure of treating mouthrot however. The course of antibiotics needs to be followed to the end (just like with people). It can be administered via injection or orally. Topical measures are only suitable for mild cases, if it is moderate to severe mouthrot it will need a course of antibiotics to aid in fighting off the infection, in addition to topical cleaning.

I rechecked my vet book and if diluted greatly, iodine solutions can be safe. However, I would still be very cautious, as it is formulated to leave a film and is easily washed away by water. Be careful that your snake doesn't ingest any. I would still recommend going with chlorhexidine or peroxide over it. An antibiotic ointment can be applied as well.

soupedmx3
12-08-04, 07:27 PM
alright thanks alot im gunna stick with the peroxide in the mouth and see how that works and polysporin on the tail for a couple weeks and see if that helps
thanks for your help
greatly appreciated

soupedmx3
12-27-04, 01:53 PM
hey
just updating on the boa
shes doing great
got her to eat lastnight first try........her mouth is healing well and tail is getting better
shes shed and everything
doin amazing now

Linds
12-27-04, 11:07 PM
That's great to hear everythings healing up and she's recovering!

Justcage
12-30-04, 11:07 AM
I dont reccomend Betidine either, even a little toxic substance on my snakes will not happen. Virosan will be your best bet for a home remedy.. Keep up the antibiotics and it will be fine.. Also raise the heat a tad to bump its natural immune system....