PDA

View Full Version : bitten?

joey
12-07-04, 02:42 PM
Have you ever been bitten by your boa?

Linds
12-07-04, 02:50 PM
My boas, other people's boas. I'm pretty good ad dodging bites, but it's bound to happen from time to time when you're around them all the time :p

thunder
12-07-04, 02:52 PM
the only one of my boas to have bitten me is my male argentine, and it was when he was young. i was, however, aware of neonate argentines tendency to be nippy so i was wearing a glove. he also bit a friend of mine later in life, which was very strange and out of character for him. he showed no signs of nervousness, he just struck. my theory was that it was because my friend was a smoker, and the lingering scent bothered him somehow.

ssscales
12-07-04, 03:02 PM
I assume your asking about adult boas bitting? I don't remeber the last time I got bit by my adult boas. I recently purchased two 6 month old Argentine females and one of them came in snappy, but has calmed down nicely.

My JCP's were snappy when younger, but have not attempted to bite in over a year.

I had a trio of sub adult Bloods that bit every time I would handle them.

Firkraag
12-07-04, 03:07 PM
I once got bitten in my forehead by my BCC guyana, she was around 140cm at that time, but with a large head, that did hurt, but it didnt bleed so much

joey
12-07-04, 03:22 PM
So are the somewhat like ball pythons where they usually tame down with age?

Bartman
12-07-04, 08:21 PM
All the adults ive delt with, so around 8, were "tame". They all still have the potential to bite though.

I got tagged by a 6 foot female, and to tell you the truth..didnt hurt half as much as I would have imagined.

The 1 boa I own hasnt tried to strike...yet. But usually I find it is our fault 80 % of the time. When I got bit, I went to grab the water dish infront of her face and the heat of my hand, along with the previous handling of rats, came together to equal a nice bite. When I pick up any boa I try to get them from the side and let them realize their is no food. I think you will usually get bit as they have a GREAT feeding response.

thunder
12-07-04, 08:23 PM
in my experience, most BCs calm with age, and some are just born calm (not argentines), but some of the smaller BCI locals will remain snappy, like CA and mexicans. its probably cuz they have more preditors and have to remain on the defense as adults.

Linds
12-07-04, 10:45 PM
Boas are nothing like Balls. Balls are generally reluctant to bite in most cases, whereas a boa will not hesitate to use that defense right off the bat. Ball remind me more like lumps of coal when handled. Boas are all highly variable in temperament. Some will be fairly calm and stay that way with little maintenance, some need more maintenance to stay handleable, some may calm down on their own, some may go from calm to less handleable. Most of the time handling can be quite influential on a snakes overall demeanor, but sometimes a boa is just going to be a certain way despite all means. I don't usually handle most of my boas these days except for general maintenance (cleaning, etc.), and out of the entire bunch, there is only one that I don't have to keep a high guard with when working around (not that safety measures are ever sacraficed due to comfort - no matter how docile, they are very powerful animals) . The rest will not hesitate to take a hit at me. All the boas I've worked with outside my personal collection have come in a mixed variety of temperaments, not really leaning towards any specific type.

ssscales
12-09-04, 07:57 AM
My collection isn't that large yet. My wife and I set a time each day for routine spot checks and take that time to handle a few each day. The adults at least once a week a side from maintanance. It also depends on timing and situation, feeding day, shed, breeding, etc.

For example, throughout breeding season I will handle the adults as little as possible. I'll remove the carpet substrate and just use newspaper in order to spot clean without disturbing the snakes.

Yearlings I'll try and handle twice a week for 10-15 minutes. I can handle most of the snakes in my collection with confidence 90% of the time.

dudsky
12-12-04, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Bartman
But usually I find it is our fault 80 % of the time.

i would agree on that for sure, in my opinion it is 99% if not 100% our fault when we get bitten.

ive been bitten myself by a few snakes, including an approx. 4 foot bci and a 5 foot surinam, and there is really not taht much to it when you get bitten imo, unless the snake exceeds 5 feet or you jerk your hand when bitten. bleeding is usually hard to escape, even if the boa is a hatchling, but thats about all the trouble of a small snake bite. Ive never been bitten by big boas myself, but I know it may be painfull ;)

Manitoban Herps
12-12-04, 01:42 PM
I have only got bit by my a 2 foot BCI, never hurt at all....and the snake was fine.

Sm0k3d
12-12-04, 02:34 PM
my bci is calm as night, never hisses, never strikes at me.. and yet still has an awesome feeding response. My gopher on the other hand.. wow.. that guy hates feeding when any one is around, and hisses and bites whenever the lid of his cage is open.. MEAN fellow. good thing he's only 1.5'